Re: The genius that is Kenny Anderson.

Just the title of Paul's post made me chuckle.

You're right, Paul, that Pitino's system was wrong for these players. But
what system is right? Should they be trying to make it a halfcourt game? I
can't see how any team with Tony Battie and Vitaly Potapenko in the middle
should do that. Their halfcourt defense is as bad as their fullcourt
defense. Their halfcourt offense is awful. The Pitino system was wrong for
this group, but I'm not sure any system could make these guys look good.

The papers today said Chris Wallace is calling the shots. Richard Pond said
"it's his time to shine" or some such nonsense. Anyway, assuming that's
true, I have to think Wallace dives into rebuilding this team. Toine will
go. I have no doubt about it. My guess is it won't be until after the
season, but you'd certainly think with Shareef Abdur Rahim being available,
those names would at least come up in discussion. The Grizz want a legit
player and a decent pick. Would Toine and the Denver pick do it? Is that a
good deal for the Celts? I like what I've seen of Shareef, but really
haven't seen him enough.

One other possible destination for Toine is Chicago. They're supposedly
trying to add a legit NBA player to keep Elton Brand happy. Would Jamal
Crawford and Ron Artest interest anyone? Marcus Fizer? They're certainly not
Toine's equal right now (Artest and Fizer never will be), but it's at least
worth talking about. If the Bulls make a draft pick available, then it gets
interesting.

My guess is any moves that are made will be relatively minor and designed to
dump contracts as much as anything. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vitaly
traded to a team desperate for a center (Cleveland? Miami? New York?
Phoenix?). Battie could go when he's healthy. If anyone was crazy enough to
take Kenny, the Celts would jump all over it (New York?).

Here's hoping Wallace really does have the OK to start thinking about the
future. I do think the guy knows some stuff, but had his hands tied by
Pitino. He wanted McGrady when Pitino insisted upon Mercer. He loved Marion.
He liked Rashard Lewis in the draft when no one else did. He liked Jonathan
Bender (OK, the jury's still out). He drooled over Darius Miles (wouldn't
the Nets like to have that pick over?). The question is, did he also like
Kenny Anderson, Vitaly Potapenko and Danny Fortson... or were those Pitino
decisions? Maybe Wallace is a good draft guy, but not a good trader. We'll
see.

Mark