No Subject

PITINO'S CELTIC EXIT IS FINAL
Sunday,January 7,2001

By PETER VECSEY

PAY no attention to the Celtics' public pronouncement that Rick Pitino's
departure from the team last night is a brief leave of absence for "soul
searching" purposes.
In fact, Pitino, his soul fully searched, has definitively decided to quit
his jobs as coach and president, and he and the team already have agreed
that he will receive a month's pay as severance.

That means he's leaving in the neighborhood of $22 million on a Boston
table, including the $7 million he was to receive to coach the Celtics next
season.

Although he was known to have been upset at a perceived lack of respect in
Boston, Pitino hugged many of his players and was nearly in tears at the
end of the Celtics' 112-86 loss to the Heat in Miami.

The reason he had to go now is simple: He has to find a college job and
start recruiting - now.

UNLV, which recently fired Bill Bayno, has the inside track to land Pitino.
He'd be interested in the UCLA job if it opens up. Steve Lavin is
perpetually on the fence and sometimes through it. And Indiana has
contacted Pitino, as well.

As for the Celtics, they will retain Pitino's entire staff, with assistant
Jim O'Brien moving over to the head coach's seat. Ownership is looking at
bringing in an experienced NBA head coach for next season at a pricetag of
about $2 million, unwilling to pay Pitino money to the next guy.

By the way, the price of first-class postage goes up to 34 cents today,
meaning it'll now cost the Celtics more to mail it in.

  LOCAL NEWS | LIFE & LEISURE | OPINION

SPORTS
Pitino: Four years down the drain

By Mike Fine
The Patriot Ledger

I'm sitting here trying to think of one positive thing that Rick Pitino has
done in his four years with the Boston Celtics. I've been sitting for a
long time.

Well, he spearheaded the effort to build a new practice facility.

He filled a lot of reporters' notebooks.

He infused oodles of hope in a faltering franchise after two seasons under
M.L. Carr.

He fattened his own pocketbook.

He fattened the pocketbooks of numerous player agents.

He worked his tail off.

That's about all I can come up with.

This is troubling because Pitino is a good guy who had great credentials.
When he was being recruited by the Celtics, he was perceived as the savior
and the oracle. He was the man riding in on a white horse.

Now he's Satan. Instead, he has wasted four years of this team's time. It's
time to go – now – so the team can get on with the season without his
status hanging over its head. Start the Larry Bird rumors right now. Larry
Bird will walk through that door, holding the hand of the team's new coach,
Rick Carlisle or Dennis Johnson.

Meanwhile, here's what Pitino has done:

—He took the job because he thought he would get Tim Duncan in the NBA
draft lottery.

—He immediately took away Red Auerbach's long-standing title as president.

—He immediately renounced nine free agents, including Rick Fox and David
Wesley, in an attempt to clear out cap space to sign Scottie Pippen.

—He instead signed Travis Knight.

—He fired Jan Volk, the longtime GM who was the league's preeminent salary
cap expert.

—He brought in personnel who had nary a clue about the NBA, from the
strength coach to the support staff to the coaching staff to his new
capologist, Rick Avare, who was his personal business consultant. Last
summer he even hired former Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton rather
than an NBA person as a team consultant.

—He drafted Ron Mercer and Chauncey Billups, calling them the backcourt of
the future.

—He traded Andrew DeClercq and a No. 1 draft choice, which Cleveland used
to obtain point guard Andre Miller, for Vitaly Potapenko.

—He immediately signed Potapenko to a $33 million extension.

—He extended Walter McCarty for three years and $8 million.

—He brought in players by the barrelful, getting rid of them shortly
thereafter.

—He traded for Kenny Anderson and his seven-year, $50 million contract.

—He extended Antoine Walker for six years and $71 million.

—He made Walker captain. Pervis Ellison, too.

—He said his team needs veterans and then stockpiled first-round draft picks.

—He called Tyus Edney his best point guard.

—He traded Danny Fortson to Toronto, only to have the deal rescinded.

—He force-fed a tricky defensive scheme to players who can't grasp it and
are now the worst defensive performers in the NBA.

—He refused to reign in Walker's three-point shooting game.

—He compared Walker to Magic Johnson.

—He threatened that heads will roll after a bickering incident in Orlando
and then recanted.

—He said he will consult with owner Paul Gaston and threatened to resign if
things don't improve.

—He told the team he will resign if their defense doesn't improve.

It's hard to believe that everyone under the sun trashed M.L. Carr for his
failings in two seasons. Has Pitino performed any better?

So now what? It's time. End the madness. Admit your shortcomings and
failings. It just didn't work out.

Appoint Jim O'Brien as head man for the rest of the season. Step down as
president, take your family on a long vacation and head back to school.
Thanks for your effort. It simply wasn't good enough.

The problem is this:

Pitino is still owed $22 million. Unlikely he'll walk away without a
settlement, and even more unlikely that Gaston will give him the boot.

And this:

Once Pitino is gone, then what? We're still left with Gaston, who since
taking over for his father has done nothing but preside over a sinking ship
for more than a decade. Will Gaston also step aside? Will Bird actually
head a takeover group?

Then what? The reality is that this franchise will be reeling long after
Pitino is gone.

Four years, down the drain.

That said, let's address the issue of effort. There seems to be a
groundswell of opinion that the Celtics do not put out the effort on a
nightly basis, that their smiles on the court are a sign of complacency.

I don't buy that. In the first place, the Celtics haven't participated in a
losing blowout since mid-December. They have been in each and every game
they've played since then. If there were no effort, they'd not have beaten
the Knicks or the Nets at the buzzer on the road.

Listen, these guys are trying. They work, and they work hard. They simply
are not good enough! Arguably, there isn't a man on this team who could or
should start for many of the better teams in the NBA, and that includes
Walker and Paul Pierce. They are a team that's relying on those two players
– players who aren't capable of being leaders, who need complementary
competence around them to succeed – just as Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe
Bryant have Rick Fox, Brian Shaw and Ron Harper.

They don't have a capable point guard. They don't have a strong rebounder.
They don't have a defensive presence. They don't have a bench. They don't
have one player, save perhaps for Bryant Stith, who understands how to play
the game, who can take orders from his coach and execute a game plan for 48
minutes.

It's not a matter of effort. The effort is there, but all the effort in the
world by mediocre, incompetent, uncoachable and dumb players isn't going to
get the job done at this level.

Enough with a dead team that I thought would win 40 games. Here's some
shorter stuff:

Shareef Abdur-Rahim said he's not pushing for a trade, but rumors abound
that he wants out of Vancouver, which, when you think of it, isn't much
better off than the Celtics. That's one reason that he indicated that a
trade to a losing situation is out of the question ... Don Nelson had hoped
to coach against the Pistons Wednesday night, but medication he was taking
for his Thursday prostate cancer operation was making him dizzy. Nellie
boarded owner Mark Cuban's private jet for the trip to Salt Lake City,
where he had the procedure ... Suns forward Tom Gugliotta made the trip
with his team to Sacramento, even though he knew he was probably going to
be suspended after his fight with Toronto's Corliss Williamson. When the
ruling came down, he watched the game in the hotel lobby. "It was me and
seven Kings fans," he said. Of the fight with Williamson, he added, "Hockey
players are laughing at us." ... The most competent guy in the Celtics
organization might be broadcaster Howard David, who said of the estimated
2,000 fans who watched the Hawks-Celts Tuesday: "I had more people at my
bar mitzvah." ... David's partner, Cedric Maxwell, on the Chinese lettering
on Knicks' forward Marcus Camby's arm: "You know what that means? ‘I'm
soft.'" ...

Something you'll never hear from Pitino: "I think the one thing that I'm
pleased more with, and I hope that it stays consistent, is that our guys
are beginning to have a better understanding of our system, our defensive
system, and what they can and cannot do in it." – Heat coach Pat Riley ...
Since their practice boycott, the Nuggets are 7-2, and nine of their next
14 are at home. The situation has changed so dramatically in Denver that
coach Dan Issel has finally gotten a vote of confidence from owner Stan
Kroehnke ... Nuggets forward Antonio McDyess has a novel approach to
staying out of foul trouble: "If I see a guy taking the ball to the bucket,
I just let him go now," he said ... Bill Curley lives, barely. Although he
was waived by Golden State Wednesday (just before the team's trip to
Boston), the Duxbury native brought back when the 10-day contract period
began Jan. 5. Any player currently on a roster who remains after that date
must be paid full salary for the season ... Nets rookie Stephen Jackson,
after Celtic Milt Palacio's buzzer-beating game-winner last week: "In my
life, I've never seen anything like that. Like they say, welcome to the
NBA. It's going to be something I never forget. Then, the guy who hit the
shot – we tried out in Vancouver together last year – I knew him. He called
me (Thursday) night to rub it in. I talked to him. It's a game, you want to
win, but it's still a game. Don't take it too seriously, but you want to
win." ... Here's what's interesting about Grant Hill's season-ending
surgery: The Magic signed him to a seven-year, $93 million contract without
securing liability insurance because he had a pre-existing ankle condition
that the team thought would not be a problem ... The Sixers have won their
last seven on the road, their best streak away from home since taking 10 in
succession Dec. 14, 1984 to Jan. 15, 1985. They completed their 3-0 road
trip with a 107-104 overtime victory over Sacramento, where they hadn't won
since 1989 ... Sacramento's Peja Stojakovic returned from a five-game
absence to score a career-high 33 points Saturday against the Sixers, then
matched it Tuesday against Phoenix. Sixers' guard Allen Iverson: "Ain't
nobody can shoot like that (guy). I mean, (heck), he hit them from all over
the place. He and (Dallas') Dirk Nowitzki are the best shooters in the
league." ... Toronto's Vince Carter said he probably won't defend his
All-Star slam-dunk title ... The Suns' Tony Delk, after scoring a
career-high 53 in the loss to the Kings: "You're out there, and it seems
like the bucket is an ocean." ... The Bucks have won 10 of 12 and six
straight at home for the first time since 1990.

Transmitted 01-06-01
Copyright 2001 The Patriot Ledger

      Celtics Stats  -  NBA News -  Teams Index -  College

It's all over: Pitino done with Celtics
by Mark Cofman
Sunday, January 7, 2001

MIAMI - Rick Pitino is finished with the Celtics.

The embattled Celtics coach and president, who did not return home on the
team flight last night following a 112-86 loss to the Miami Heat at
American Airlines Arena, will step down from both positions as early as today.

Speaking to an unusually large media horde in front of the visitors' locker
room following another dismal Celtics defeat, Pitino stopped short of
formally announcing his resignation, reserving a personal day off in Miami
today before he makes his final decision. But a source said his decision
was already made, and Pitino all but told the Herald late last night it was
over.

``It wasn't this loss. It's all the losses,'' said Pitino, looking tired
and defeated from his plight this season. ``The Golden State game (Friday)
night really bothered me. It sickened me.

``I stayed up all night, I started to think about things. I called my wife
and asked her if she would come down so we can talk about things.''

Pitino's wife, Joanne, is scheduled to arrive in Miami today. The couple,
who recently put their Back Bay home up for sale, presumably will discuss
Pitino's professional options. But returning to the Celtics, who have lost
five straight and 11-of-14 in a freefall that has squashed a once-promising
season, does not appear to be one of those options anymore.

Asked if there was anything that could change his mind after he talks with
his wife today, Pitino said flatly, ``Sometimes change is good just for the
sake of change when things aren't going well.''

He paused for a moment, then continued. ``It's heartbreaking to me, what's
happened here. I love the Boston Celtics and I'll always be a fan. This
organization has treated me like royalty since I came here.

``But you know, I've been going at this pretty hard now for 3 1/2 years and
I haven't seen many results. It hurts, but life goes on and it will for the
players and for the people in this organization.''

Pitino has been close to the edge a number of times during his stormy
tenure in Boston, but this season was different. Painting himself into the
proverbial corner with declarations that he would step down if things
didn't improve - particularly at the defensive end - Pitino's words were on
record for all to judge. So was the team's performance.

This nucleus, put together exclusively by the Pitino regime, has simply not
responded to the coach's call to arms. At times they appeared to tune
Pitino out. Even a kinder, gentler approach, which has been employed by
Pitino on occasion this season, has failed to change the downward course.

``It's going to take awhile for the Celtics to turn around completely,'' he
said. ``You'd get encouraged by a few wins, and maybe even a loss in which
you played your tail off, but then it would slip back and it would hurt.

``But they're still young, and their focus has got to be on defense. It's
all about defense and this team will have to learn that. I've spent every
breath trying to teach them that.

``They'll also have to think about acquiring defensive help for the future,
and that's something that can be addressed in this draft, and possibly in
some moves.''

Moves and draft picks that will no longer be Pitino's concern, more than
six years and $22 million before his contract is scheduled to expire. He
told the Herald that he would have no interest in staying on as president
of the organization without the dual coaching position. That comes as
little surprise for a lifelong coach.

``I haven't had a chance to talk to my wife,'' said Pitino, obviously
shaken by the turn of events. ``But I said all along I'd make a decision in
January.

``What I was looking for was defensive improvement. You can see by the way
(Miami) scored that's not there. I'm not pointing fingers anywhere, because
at this point it doesn't matter who has, or hasn't done this or that.

``This is a life decision, and it's one that I would like to sit down and
discuss with my wife. But any way you look at it, I need to get my
batteries recharged. This has taken a toll, no question.''

      Celtics Stats  -  NBA News -  Teams Index -  College

Players deal with dilemma: C's ponder life without their coach
by Mike Shalin
Sunday, January 7, 2001

MIAMI - A clearly shaken Paul Pierce said he didn't notice, but the scene
was an odd one - Celtics coach Rick Pitino hugging Pierce last night as he
came out of a 112-86 blowout loss to the Heat with 1:19 left in the carnage.

A final hug?

``I didn't even think about it when I came out of the game,'' Pierce, a
Celtic co-captain said. ``It's just a tough loss. I don't feel like we
fought for him (last night).''

Pierce was visibly upset, and by more than just another bad loss. He spoke
in hushed tones as if he knew something was happening, as if he knew a
change was close that would cost him the only professional coach he's
known. Asked if Pitino addressed the situation with the players, Pierce
just said, ``I have no comment about that.''

Pierce then added: ``I don't know what coach is going to do. I don't know
what his decision's going to be . . . I want him to be happy. I want him to
have peace of mind. I know it's been tough for him these last couple of
weeks, these last couple years. This is one of the toughest coaching jobs
in all the NBA. I just want him to be happy.

``I love him as a coach - he's the only guy I've played for. I would want
him to stay.''

Antoine Walker, the Celtics' other captain, agreed and is hoping the day
Pitino is taking to assess his situation will convince him to stay.

``Yeah, because this is our fight to win,'' Walker said. ``We want to turn
this thing around ourselves, you know, nobody leaving - (it's not like)
anybody leaving makes things better. He doesn't shoot the basketball. He
doesn't rebound the ball. It's kind of hard to say that that's the problem.

``To be honest, (Pitino leaving) isn't going to make our record any better,
we're still going to be 12-22 whether he comes (today) or not. I don't know
what's the purpose for (resigning). That's his own thing. To be honest, you
have to take it up with him. My only concern is trying to figure out a way
to try to get off this skid and start winning some basketball games and
playing better basketball.''

Both players think the Celtics can turn it around, with Pitino on the bench.

``My whole thing is fight through it,'' said Walker, who, oddly enough,
remained on the floor until the bitter end of last night's loss. ``This is
adversity right now. It's still early. We still have 40-some-odd games,
high 40s to play. If we can somehow salvage a three-, four-game winning
streak, some teams from the East, the way the East is right now, they lose,
we have a different outlook.

``It kind of drags you down. You start to finger and point a lot of
different things out. I've been through a lot. I'm in it for the fight. If
we had a bad team, I would be, like, no, but we've got good enough guys in
here to win. We've been playing good basketball, tonight was a rarity and
in an 82-game season you're going to take a couple of blowouts. Tonight was
not a regular thing - we just have to keep working.

``I've been here five years, I haven't won yet, I haven't been to the
playoffs yet. Quitting don't make you win, you know what I'm saying?''

Said Pierce: ``I feel like there's still some hope, that we have goals to
get into the playoffs and I just hope our players keep their heads high and
just continue to fight.''

Regardless, something has to change.

``I'm not going to say that the things that have been going on haven't been
a distraction to me,'' Pierce said. ``(It's) always in the back of your
mind . . . what's going on with the team and the things surrounding coach.
It's tough. This has been difficult. It's difficult as a player, especially
myself, I hate to lose, I hate the situation we're in. I just hope this
doesn't distract us for the rest of the season.''

Added Walker: ``We just gotta somehow stay positive which is very difficult
to do. Guys have got to stay optimistic and continue to work on their
games. We just have to keep going at it in practice and stay focused - we
can't let the tension and losing frustrate us to the point where we don't
give 110-percent effort and we lose our togetherness.''

If Pitino is in fact done, Pierce said, ``I guess we're just going to have
to cross that bridge when it happens. Right now it's nothing I'm really
thinking about. It's a tough loss (last night), we have to think about
practice (today) and game (tomorrow). We still have to put on the uniform,
we still have to come to practice every day and still have to play.''

All was lost Friday
Celtics Notebook/by Mark Cofman
Sunday, January 7, 2001

MIAMI - The Celtics' 112-86 loss to the Miami Heat last night at American
Airlines Arena will be remembered as Rick Pitino's final game as coach. But
the end likely came 24 hours earlier at the FleetCenter, where a dreadful
fourth-quarter collapse resulted in a 100-88 loss to the Golden State
Warriors. Pitino and his team were booed off the floor at game's end.

Pitino, in a prelude to his apparent decision late last night to step down
as coach and president of the Celtics, was still trying to make sense of
his team's horrendous performance against the Warriors.

``I still haven't figured out (Friday) night,'' Pitino said before sending
his team out to face the Heat. ``I don't know what the hell was going on
there. I guess sometimes young players don't know how to make themselves
look good.''

Pitino, himself, was not looking too good, the residual effect of another
sleepless night during his team's slide to oblivion.

``(Friday) night really bothered me,'' he said. ``I was sick over it. I
wasn't able to (sleep).''

Asked what he could do to motivate his struggling team, Pitino took a stab
at humor. ``Give them raises,'' he said.

He added in a more serious tone, ``There's only one way for this game to be
played and that is with great effort and great unselfishness. That's why
the Phillys, the New Yorks, the Miamis consistently win. And that's why
we're up and down, why other teams are up and down. Those two qualities
have to be consistent.''

Riley sings Rick's praises

Miami coach Pat Riley was asked about Pitino's apparent decision to step
down. ``I know Rick and I have watched him closely,'' said the Heat coach.
``I recommended him highly for the Kentucky job when he got that. I thought
he was the best man for the job, and I thought he was the best man for the
job at Boston.

``Regardless of what happens, or how it is covered, if he decides to leave
there is not a coach in the NBA that cares more and puts more into the game
than he does. He developed a first-class organization up there in Boston.
The players get everything they need and want. If, in fact, (Pitino does
resign), I think it is a shame because I think he is a credit to the game.
I respect the hell out of him.''

Herren hits comeback trail

Chris Herren, who underwent surgery on his right shoulder on Dec. 20, has
begun rehabilitation. The second-year point guard from Fall River is
expected to return next month, but said no specific date has been set.

``I'm not sure yet when I'll be back, but I'm looking forward to getting
out there again and being able to play the game pain-free,'' said Herren.
``It got to the point where the pain in the shoulder was affecting
everything I did - shooting, dribbling. I had very little range of motion.
It was frustrating, especially with all the other injuries we had to our
point guards.'' . . .

Alonzo Mourning, sidelined for the season with a serious kidney ailment,
has been compelled recently to answer questions about next month's NBA
All-Star Game in Washington. The reason? The Heat center is leading the
Eastern Conference All-Star balloting at his position despite the fact he
hasn't appeared in a game this season.

``It does make you feel good,'' Mourning said. ``I'm flattered that the
fans are voting for me. But obviously I can't do anything about it. I'm in
a situation that's very uncontrollable.''

Of his medical condition, Mourning reports that he's progressing in timely
fashion. ``It's improving to the extent where the doctors are pleased,'' he
said. ``I'm right where they hoped I would be.''

Coach is following the trail he blazed

By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Staff, Globe Columnist, 1/7/2001

e've had some absurd times regarding head coaches and managers in this
town. Chuck Fairbanks was literally yanked off the sideline by Patriots
owner Billy Sullivan. Clive Rush went insane coaching the Patriots, and a
chorus line of drunks could be assembled from the ranks of those who
managed the Red Sox over the last 80 years.

But it's hard to top these final hours of the Rick Pitino era.

Little Ricky last night just about made it official. After yet another
waxing - this time in Miami - he said he was going to take a day to
reflect, and he would have a decision for us tomorrow. Like Richard Nixon
in 1974, he is expected to announce he is stepping down.

Let's just follow this trail since Nov. 20: The Celtics got beat at home by
the Sixers and Pitino told his players he'd walk after the first of the
year if they didn't start playing better ... When this leaked, he claimed
the speech was a motivational tool ... In mid-December, he insisted he
would ''not be leaving in midseason under any circumstance. I'm fighting
this thing out.'' ... A week later, he said, ''If we get healthy and it
goes the other [wrong] way, I'll turn it over to someone else. That's the
way I look at it. I will walk away. The money aspect doesn't even come into
the equation.'' Then he solicited friends, asking how he could best salvage
his reputation when he leaves ... Last week, he told the Globe's Shira
Springer, ''I don't think anybody's going to be shedding any tears as I
depart the town.'' ... His house went on the market the next day. Then the
Celtics got croaked at home by Golden State and he said, ''My stomach right
now is as sick as I've ever been.''

The Celtics' southbound train went to Miami last night and got derailed
again. It was pretty clear the players knew something. When Paul Pierce
finally came off the floor with only seconds remaining, Pitino embraced his
young cocaptain. That got the normally reserved Celtic TV crew wondering.
Mike Gorman asked Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn if it might be Pitino's final
game.

Now it looks like it's finally over. Unless Pitino's getting some buyout
money from Paul ''Thanksdad'' Gaston, Pitino will be leaving about $22
million on the table when he resigns his position. He always has said the
money would not stop him if he felt failure was inevitable. It appears that
time has come.

It's been awful, watching these final days of Pitino's regime. His players
strayed from the huddle when he called timeout, Celtics fans hooted him
from behind the bench, his kids were teased in school, and the absentee
owner said nothing at all.

It's sometimes hard to remember that he was the most coveted and successful
basketball coach in the land when Thanksdad lured him from Kentucky four
years ago. But then the ping-pong balls didn't fall right, Tim Duncan was
lost, and Pitino-the-GM failed Pitino-the-coach. We watched a succession of
Travis Knights come and go. The Philadelphia 76ers and other downtrodden
teams started to get better, while the Celtics merely floundered.

Right up until this bitter end, he continued to work feverishly - teaching,
calling out the defenses, exhorting his players to work hard. But there's
been resignation in the frosty New England air since Nov. 20 and tomorrow
it will be a signed paper on the desk of Paul Gaston.

When he was asked about his ''situation'' Wednesday, he said, ''It's an old
story. Just wait it out, baby. I've got to. So do you.''

The wait is over. The Pitino era in Boston is over. And we all know he will
resurrect some college program soon. UCLA might be a nice place to start.

Money will not be a problem. This is a man who commands up to $50,000 for
motivational speeches to corporate America. He made millions on a Derby
horse and stands to make more millions on his Commonwealth Avenue house.
His last bestseller was entitled ''Success is a Choice.'' Now he leaves the
Celtics with a minimum $28 million for four years' work.

But it came at a price. His reputation is tarnished. This goes down as the
first failure of Pitino's illustrious coaching career.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached by e-mail at
dshaughnessy@globe.com.

Day of decision

Pitino successor will jump through hoops

By Peter May, Globe Staff, 1/7/2001

his is the hard part. The Boston Celtics are actually in worse shape now
after three-plus years of Rick Pitino's stewardship than they were when he
took over the franchise. Given that he inherited a 15-win team, that is
saying a lot.

That is, however, the sad-but-true byproduct of Pitino's determined but
unsuccessful effort to rebuild the Celtics. With all signs pointing to his
imminent resignation, one thing remains clear: The coach who takes his
place will have a real mess to clean up. And it's going to take two things
that Pitino never gave himself: time and patience.

He could have had both. The Boston fans were willing to wait and live with
a rebuilding process because we understood that things do not turn around
overnight in the NBA.

But patience never has been high on Pitino's list and his haste to turn
dross into gold led him to the regrettable decisions that eventually doomed
the team and coach.

It's now an across-the-board malaise, which has manifested itself in
historically small crowds at the FleetCenter, wide-spread apathy, and a
roster of mediocre players with little or no market value. It all came
crashing down for the coach in a 24-hour stretch, starting with a home loss
to the Golden State Warriors Friday night and culminating with a public
flogging in Miami last night.

You could sense it at the end. When Paul Pierce left the game against the
Heat, he got a short embrace from his coach. Pitino looked close to tears,
undoubtedly realizing that it finally had come to an end.

It happened in Pat Riley's house as well, the one coach Pitino truly idolized.

But while Pitino's departure may ease his tortured soul, it won't do a lot
for the team or the franchise. They still have to play the games. A
different voice and approach may provide short-term relief, although, given
the schedule, that may be asking too much. But whoever takes over does so
knowing he's on a short leash and that there may be a change in ownership.

Then, the fun begins. Pitino's replacement must start with rebuilding what
once had been a reliable, sturdy fan base. We have seen ridiculous crowds
at the FleetCenter this season and the basketball team is only one reason.
The team, in a desperate attempt to bring in new people, has alienated the
old guard with its idiotic ''game presentation.''

Until this season, there never had been a crowd below 14,000 for a Celtics
game at the FleetCenter. Now, it's a news bulletin when there's one that
big. Even in the final days of the M.L. Carr era, the crowds weren't as bad
as they are now. The roster, too, is a major concern. The new man running
the basketball organization will need time. Lots of it. There should be no
promises about playoffs, .500 records, or any such nonsense. Then again,
one look at the roster should be all it takes to make one button one's lips.

Kenny Anderson is on the books through 2003. So, too, is Randy Brown.
Vitaly Potapenko and Antoine Walker are signed through 2005. Eric Williams
is under contract through 2004. Tony Battie is in the first year of a deal
that expires in 2006. Those are players with either no value (all except
Walker) or with huge contracts (all except Brown.)

Pitino can say that he's leaving the team with two extra first-round picks
and that is true. But draft picks aren't what they used to be and one of
those extras could be in the teens or 20s this June. With draft classes
getting younger and younger - we've seen the impact Jerome Moiso has had
this season - the picks lose some of their allure.

In May 1997, when Pitino came aboard, he did so with two high draft picks
(Nos. 3 and 6). He did so with a roster full of free agents, including
players like Rick Fox and David Wesley. On that day he stood in the
FleetCenter, the Celtics actually lowered the championship banners to serve
as a backdrop.

Someone should have mentioned at that time that the Celtics only raise
banners; they don't lower them.