"The Jive Five."

Title: "The Jive Five."
   "When I woke up this morning [you were on my mind]," I was wondering about a new coach and a new direction for the Celtics. The Boston Herald has called the affair, as has Peter Vecsey and others. The deed is done.
   Mike Fratello, who i promoted yesterday, was in the crowd last night.  Cecil  has suggested Donn Chaini, former NBA coach of the year, the only player to have played with both Bird and Russell.
   Looking at four other Eastern conference teams, Millwaukee (George Karl), Philladelphia (Larry Brown), New Jersey (John Calipari) and Charlotte (Paul Silas), who were in the same plight as the C's before Pitino arrived suggests that college is not the place to train to be an NBA coach. The only other of those four to go to the college ranks, N. J; fired Calipari before he even got his own television show. Silas, Karl and Larry Brown, all of who had varying degrees of previous NBA successes and failures, all have done very well. Another common thread with these coaches is that the successful three, all played in the NBA, the two losers did not.
   Is it a lock? Coincidence?
   I am sure there will be exceptions, but if Bird doesn't come through the door, I'd be looking for a former NBA player with head coaching experience with some success, in the NBA. Barring that I'd find a former player who has had several years as an assistant to a top program.
   Where to find a GM? Can you imagine Red getting on a plane to Los Angeles to sit down with Jerry West?  No, I can't either. This may be harder than finding a coach.
   If Bird is not walking through that door.......we're in trouble folks, but there is no rush. In the absence of a natural candidate, I'd let Wallace and O'brien finish the season. Let's see what the team can do if left on it's own a bit. Let loose from the iron grip, perhaps they will succeed, or perhaps they will fail, but learn that the bathroom mirror is not big enough for two faces.
   Moiso, Blount and even Herren, who will be back next month, should be showcased. Lets see what they can do. Cut down on Pierce, Stith and Walker's minutes. Chris Carr, should play 15-20 minutes a game, every game, so should Adrien Griffen.
   Those draft picks will be worth a lot more in June than they are now.
JB

--

Unchain My Heart!