Re: [Celtic_Pride] Peter May's Letter to Pitino

Pitino has been successful at every previous coaching stop.  I find it hard
to believe that since he has accepted this position, his level of coaching
has deteriorated rapidly.  That all of a sudden, he is not able to convey
the message of what he wants the players to do, to them.  That is why I do
not blame him entirely.  We have players who have played the game for most
of their lives but have not given proper attention to basic fundamentals
such as boxing out, rebounding and, what is especially frustrating for me,
shooting free throws.

I was taught the basics of running a fast break in freshmen basketball.  Do
you honestly believe that the players don't know how to run it?  That Kenny
Anderson, who was the king of the fast break in high school and at Georgia
Tech, does not know how to run it?

I'm telling you, it is the players who fold in the last few minutes but some
of the reasons are that we have to play Toine and Pierce extreme minutes.
We have no center.  We just waived our healthiest PG.  Stith, though he has
done a fine job for us, is new to the system, Pierce, who btw has gone on
record as saying he wants RP to stay, is fortunate to be able to play after
the stabbing, our bench sucks.

There is alot wrong with this team other than the coach.  I said a few weeks
ago that thanks to the foolish booing of this team at home, that I would not
be surprised to see them play better on the road.  The players have made
statements which have proven me right but it is a disgrace for home fans to
act that way in my opinion and I am glad that Steve B. agrees.

I'll take more heat from others on this list but it does not alter the fact
that it ain't all Rick's fault.

And for those who feel he should not remind them of this during the game,
well that is just not how coaches are.  Every one of them bark out
instructions and reminders during the game.  Some on this list are more
troubled by that than anything else.

As for alluding to the fact that he is blaming the players, he continues to
say that he bears the responsibility for the direction of this team.  He has
protected them all the time from blame, instead, placing the onus on
himself.  Last night's game hurt him and he reacted that way.  Something
wrong with that?

Cecil