    ******
Rick's status troubles Pierce
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Saturday, January 6, 2001
Paul Pierce is trying to pay attention to the court and not the coach's chair, but that's easier said than done for him these days. He knows Rick Pitino may well be leaving the Celtics this month.
Pierce doesn't want it to happen, but he is aware Pitino has put himself on a limb with his pronouncement to offer owner Paul Gaston his resignation if the team doesn't improve.
``I try not to let it bother me, but there's days when you think about it,'' Pierce said before the Celtics' 100-88 loss to the Warriors last night at the FleetCenter. ``I mean, it's hard not to because it's in the air. You hear it all the time. Everywhere you go, people are asking you what's up with your coach. It's there.
``I think if he left it would be difficult more for me than for some of the other guys because this is the only coach I've played for. It's hard to really think about playing for somebody else. It bothers me to a certain extent because I want coach to be here.
``But I'm not in his position, so he has to make his decision and I don't know what's going on in his mind.''
Pierce has tried to gauge the effect of a Pitino departure on the club, but he's uncertain of the result. He also understands the pressure Pitino is under.
``I don't know how the players will respond,'' Pierce said. ``But I'm trying to look at it from his standpoint, too. He's in a difficult position, because you're talking about one of the more pressure-filled jobs in America. And to not fill a lot of expectations when that's something he's been used to his whole life as a coach is hard. It's tough. It's double-edged sword. You're asking a guy to turn around a team, and there's just so much pressure.''
Pierce has left no doubt as to his stance on the issue. He doesn't want the Celts to have to start over with a new regime.
``I've told him I need him here,'' Pierce said. ``I love playing for Coach Pitino.''
Palacio gone, for now
Eight days after he was the hero in a last-second victory over New Jersey, Milt Palacio was waived by the Celtics yesterday. But it's more than likely you'll see him back in a Boston uniform for next Wednesday's game against Miami at the FleetCenter. By waiving him yesterday, the Celts avoided guaranteeing the remainder of his $423,000 contract for the season. If he's still available upon clearing waivers (a 48-hour period, with weekend days not counting), the Celtics can sign him to as many as two 10-day contracts before having to make a decision on him (sign for the rest of the season or waive).
The largest issue on this was whether the Celts would feel safe with just Kenny Anderson and Randy Brown for last night's game, tonight's in Miami and Monday's at home against Portland.
Fortson's foot on mend
Former Celtic Danny Fortson was averaging 16.7 points and 16.3 rebounds for the Warriors when he had to have surgery on the same foot he injured here last season.
``He was playing on a bad wheel when he started,'' said Golden State coach Dave Cowens, ``so we're all encouraged that now it's been done right and he'll be able to fully recover 100 percent and then go back to being that monster he is around the glass.''

  Copyright by the Boston Herald and Herald Interactive Advertising Systems, Inc. No portion of BostonHerald.com or its content may be reproduced without the owner's written permission.

Unchain My Heart!