Re: What Do You Think Will Happen First?

At 02:05 PM 1/4/01 +0800, kevin from singapore wrote:
>People can we think like this:
>
>If we have Duncan and Van Horn (and Walker is already in the bag), why
>do we need the best colleage (or even NBA) coach to run the team????
>
>wouldn't Popovich be enough?

First, the discussion was whether Pitino was dumb for taking the job in the
first place because of the 35% chance of getting Duncan (and the additional
35% chance of a consolation prize of Van Horn). He's said, "I wouldn't have
taken the job if I had known we wouldn't get Duncan or Van Horn". Now the
reason that Gaston forced Pitino to commit before the lottery was because
he wanted to make sure he had his first choice for coach whether or not we
struck it rich in the lottery.

Second, the answer to your question is yes. You still want the best coach
possible. You could have said the same thing about the Lakers. Did they
need Phil Jackson? I mean, they had Shaq and Kobe. Coaches do matter in the
NBA.

>Pitino should just work on what he has, bring out the best in whatever
>he has,
>
>which he obviously failed.

True. That seems to be the main difference between him and Larry Brown. I
mean Brown has made some questionable personnel moves, but he seems to get
a lot out of some guys who were previously marginal talents.

Alex