Re: Bird buying Celtics??

Doug said:
>We win with players, not executives.  And I think that both
>Walker and Pierce are worth keeping, absent some terrific deal.
   >Just my $0.02.

I would suggest that you need both of them to win.  But without good
executives it doesn't matter how good the players are.  Over time, good
executives will gather good players.  I believe that you bet long term on
quality management.  (Which is so upsetting about Pitino.  I really thought
he was going to be the leader for the next 20 years.)

Buss/West and Sterling are perfect examples.  If Sterling hired real
"basketball people" he could double + the value of the team in 5 years.  It
would be like Yankee/Mets and help both teams.  But he run's it as a hobby
instead and hurts the NBA and everyone associated with it.

Buss hired a legend in West who continued as an All Star in putting that
team together.  He could make the tough decisions and is respected around
the league, from what I read.

Think of the other winning teams and which one has a weak executive team?

The jury is still out on Cuban but I think all the bennies are over the top.
It will hurt the league some day, IMO.

I do agree to keep Walker and Pierce for now, absent the terrific deal.

It doesn't figure though with Pitino though.  If Gaston is looking to sell,
why isn't Pitino trying to put a group together to BUY the Celtics?  He
knows people who can put that kind of cash together.

Why go back to college if you can own a team?  His waffling about leaving
must be affecting the selling price. As, I think it was Ray said, he needs
to make a decision soon as recruiting period starts soon.  Is he helping
Gaston with these public statements about leaving or is he putting pressure
on Gaston with these statements?

<Jim