Re: The Ratliff/Mutombo rumor

Joe, I think in the East, an upgrade from Ratliff to Mutombo isn't all that
important (although it still is a significant upgrade). But I think Philly
is thinking bigger than that, and Ratliff, as good as he is, still is a true
power forward, not a center. He can't handle the Shaqs, Duncan/Robinsons or
Sabonis' of the West. Philly believes it can win the whole thing, and it
probably can if it adds Mutombo. I also don't see him as a rental for
Philly, unless it just doesn't work out at all. I believe the Sixers, if
they trade for him, will sign him after the season. He still seems to be
playing well, and probably has three or four good years left--which probably
coincides with Philly's window as a contender.

It's easy to say both guys block shots and rebound and don't score a lot, so
they're basically the same. But the difference between 6-10 and 7-2 is huge.
I actually don't understand this from Atlanta's perspective. I guess Ratliff
gives them a legit big man for years to come, but the rest of the package
isn't very enticing, unless Nazr Mohammed excites you. I'm still stunned
that Portland hasn't jumped in with a Dale Davis-Bonzi Wells package that
would seem like a good fit both for the Blazers (giving them the defender
they need against Shaq) and the Hawks (the big guy and a young, potential
all-star).

I'm with you on the Celtics. Today's article in the Herald even seemed to
put the brakes on any potential Potapenko dumps.Very, very short-sighted in
my opinion. First, the Celtics are fortunate that with a healthy Battie and
Blount, they have a pair of semi-capable big men. Yes, Potapenko gives them
the bulk the others lack, but is it worth that contract? Of course not. If
Miami really is offering expiring contracts for Potapenko, the Celts would
be crazy not to do it. These kinds of offers don't come up in the
offseason--only now, when teams are desperate to find that "missing piece."
The idea proposed in the Herald--that the Celts may play Battie at PF
alongside Antoine when he comes back--sounds great, but we've heard it so
much before that I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, aren't there other deals out there that make sense? Wouldn't a team
trying to clear cap space be interested in Bryant Stith? That's a $5 million
chip right there, that could bring back a decent player.

It all seems to point to Gaston/Pond positioning for a sale, which I guess
is good news. I just hate to miss the opportunity either to better the team
or its future flexibility.

Mark