The Ratliff/Mutombo rumor

    At first I was kind of surprised by reports of Ratliff for Mutombo.
I guess in the shortrun, Philly is wise to go all out for a championship
run this year, but it seems like Ratliff already gives them nearly
everything Mutombo does and is a great chemistry player. On the other
hand,  there is a good cap argument as well. Kukoc and Ratliff are
signed through 2004 and 2005 while Mutombo clears 14 million+ from the
cap this summer. In the long run, this could be another dumb trade for
Atlanta. Unless the trade is contingent on an immediate contract
extension for Mutombo, basically the Hawks will be trading to Philly the
right to pursue free agents this summer.

   I wish the Celtics could be a little more creative with the cap and
trades. I understand if Pierce and Walker are off the table, but it is
strange to see them resting on their laurels (what laurels!?) like this.
You've got some serious salary cap anvils, a glut of equally competent
or incompentent centers and pointguards, and also maybe a chance to move
up in the draft by packaging lesser picks and players. I really do sense
that Pond and Thanks Dad have shut down Chris Wallace.

(from AP) Although Babcock would not confirm it, Philadelphia is
believed to be the main team involved in negotiations. The 76ers also
declined to comment. "Team policy is that we don't comment on trade
rumors," 76ers spokeswoman Karen Frascona said. The Atlanta Constitution
reported Wednesday that the 76ers would send center Theo Ratliff and
forward Toni Kukoc to the Hawks for the 7-foot-2 Mutombo before
Thursday's 6 p.m. ET deadline. "I can't comment on that," said Babcock,
admitting that "things have escalated the last few days."

---------