Re: Dynamic Duo

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Dan Forant wrote:

> a win. Did the Celts get gun shy with the 3's?  Has to be the lowest attempt

Just a case of matchups.  With Andre Miller guarding "Toine, posting up
was the smart thing to do.  Despite the win and the record, there were
come disturbing trends in the 4th quarter.  The C's made at least 3
careless plays that cost them dearly.  First, Strickland knocked the ball
out of Walkers hands on a rebound after a critical stop.  3 seconds later
Stith his a 3 to give the Cavs life. After a crucial rebound by V, he
tossed a careless outlet pass toward V that resulted in a quick layup
score for the Cavs.  Finally,  Nursing a 5 point, V made a great offensive
rebound, tipping the ball back to Kenny.  The Cs could have brought the
clock under a minute, but Kenny fumbled the ball right to Miller, who made
a quick driving layup to make it a one possession game.  If Abtoine hadn't
hit a big three on the next possession, we might be singing a different
tune this morning.

It was also painfully obvious that we can't handle a big Center.
Ilgauskas, injured and out of shape, still dominated the Boards in the 4th
quarter.  I'm not comfortable with any of our point guards but Kenny at
crunch time.  Joe Johnson lost focus several times in the 4th quarter, and
still plays like a rookie at times.

I'm not complaining. I'm enjoying the ride and looking forward to the
playoffs.  Still, we won't be a serious contender unless we keep maturing
and find a legitimate big man.  If Marc Jackson is that player, we should
make a big run at him using Forte, draft picks, and any other spare parts.

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu
	  Saratoga Springs, NY