Re: Will The Celtics Go After Stockton?

In a message dated 12/12/01 9:56:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
simon@jkean.freeserve.co.uk writes:

> Won't happen. Stockton has openly stated that he'll retire before playing
> for another team. He's also got a "gentleman's" agreement with Larry Miller
> that if his services are no longer required by Utah or if he doesn't think
> he can perform up to his own lofty standards, he'll walk away from his
> contract at the end of the year and retire leaving the 9 million on the
> table.

--------I know Stockton has a rep for being a dirty player, but I really like
his style.  Playing one's whole career for one team is virtually obsolete
these days, and I admire Stockton and Malone for doing so, just as I admire
Utah management for paying them to do so.  We know what happens when you stay
with your aging stars too long, but a good argument can be made that it's
worth it.  We could have gotten rid of Bird and McHale, I suppose, but ...
And for the players like Stockton and Malone, it may make the difference
between career earnings of, like, 45 mil and 52 mil.  For that 7 mil loss,
they become Utah's biggest sports heroes of all time.  Good tradeoff.
Another example is Mo Vaughn who, I read, really regretted his trade.  He got
the bucks, but was no longer a local hero.  So it goes.