stat freaks?

   I would be very interested in seeing any stats about the evolution of the
3 point DG and its role in the NBA.  First, when did the 3 pointer come into
the league?  Late 70s?  Can we get a figure on average 3 point shots per game
by year?  The percentage of 3s made by the leading 3 point shooters by year?
The number of points per game on 3s by year?
    I ask because it seems to me that, back in my hazy memory, the 3 used to
be an oddball shot, flung up out of desparation.  Now, some 20 or so years
later, teams (like Boston) make it an integral part of the offense.  Walker
last night at one point was 5/7 in 3s and had taken one other shot or
something.
     It also seems to me that the best 3 point shooters used to make about
33% of their shots; now they're pushing 45%?
   Thanks for any available information.
 - Doug