Thank-you McCloud

Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Thursday, December 6, 2001

(snip) McCloud, who told reporters, ``(Chris Herren) said he's got to start
working for a living, put his basketball days behind him right now to
support his family. I just told him to keep working, don't get down about
it, take advantage of the opportunities in the developmental league like
the NBA has."

-----

That's solid advice from George McCloud. Frankly, he might have added that
Herren should quit feeling sorry for himself. He walked out on his own free
will from a 350k one-season salary in Italy for the stated reasons that
there were just too many exhibition games and that Italy could be a target
of Osama bin Laden, who wants occupying pizza parlors out of Saudi Arabia.
I'd say take McCloud's advice and go play in the developmental leagues.
Players from a different background take that route all the time (Adrian
Griffin and Erick Strickland to name two). He sounds-off like he was just
whining in his quote, and he needed a no-nonsense guy like McCloud to snap
him out of it.