Re: "Let us count the ways."

----- Original Message ----- From: "JB" <jbmetzea@yahoo.com>

> Kenny Anderson has been exhumed. A lot was written  (scoffed at,
> mostly,-except by Lance), of the meeting last spring between O'Brien and
> Anderson, as having possible impact on Kenny's play/attitude. Well, he
came
> into camp in shape, sat back and waited for his opening and as his shot
> started to fall, has taken over the offense. He did whine a bit at the
> beginning of the trip about the offense; calling for him (and everyone
else)
> to sit at the three point line, as bailouts, in case Walker or Pierce were
> thwarted in one-on-one efforts. But guess what? He was right. The team
does
> play better with him creating. Pitino always backed Walker on this aspect.
> Could it be that O'Bie listened?

Two years ago, under Rick Pitino, Kenny came to camp in shape and played 82
games.  He averaged almost exactly the same number of minutes that year as
he's averaging this year, and guess what?  He shot more (14ppg vs. 8.7), he
shot better (.440 vs. .415) and the rest of his stats (assists, steals,
turnovers) were almost exactly what they are this year.  Hell, in the
lockout year, when he came to camp woefully out of shape, he shot even
better (.451) and had more assists, significantly more steals, but fewer
points in fewer minutes and he got injured.  So, I don't know how much
credit you can give anyone (Kenny or O'Brien) for getting Kenny to return to
(almost) the level he was playing at before last year.  In short, the Kenny
we're seeing now is at best the same Kenny we saw for most of the Pitino
era.  It's only because he had such a poor season due to injury last year
that this seems like a rejuvenation.

As far as Kenny "taking control of the offense," I haven't seen it.
Admittedly, though, I didn't see much of the last two games.  I also don't
think he was ever as totally uninvolved as you're making out.  Before last
year, he was a 12-14 point, five plus assist player for the Celtics.  That's
not great, but it's not bring the ball over half court and hand to Antoine
Walker, either.  At his best with this team, he would penetrate well looking
for his own shot, occaisionally set up another player and had a decent
jumpshot.  However, he's only been really effective here for short periods
of time and, frankly, deserved to play a lesser role in the offense.

Jim