Re: For the ages.

On Sunday, December 2, 2001, at 04:08 AM, JB wrote:

>    Now this one's a bit harder. I hate to be a Grinch
> and all, but my obsession is with a "true" point guard
> to run the offense. [...]
>    I keep mentioning Khalid, because he's available,

Aw, face it, you loooooove him, you want to like, have his baby or
something.  All kidding aside, though, maybe there's a reason he's
unavailable that doesn't have to do with Gaston's unwillingness to shell
out the dough?

>   Just let the C's bring in a point guard who runs the
> fllor, advances the ball, and finds the open man.He
> needs to play some defense, but if he can hit the open
> jumper, it's a bonus.Then, I'll shut up about Khalid.

This sounds a lot like your characterization of Kenny Anderson.  Why do we
need Khalid if Kenny's doing that?  Plus, the team isn't even using KA as
that "true point guard" -- what makes you think they'd use Khalid, or any
other "true" pg that way?  It sort of reminds me of all the trade
proposals you hear about on this list for power forwards -- so that "we
can move Walker to the three".  Well, that's not going to happen, so why
trade for a starting power forward?  Obie's unlikely to have much use for
a "true" point guard -- why acquire one, then?

>    I'd love to see us get a center, no doubt, but I
> have no hope that Gaston will spend the money. Even if
> he would, we only have a small portion of our cap
> ecxeption left.

But he'd spend the money on a point guard or power forward?  Granted,
Khalid would probably come cheap, but he was here and couldn't stick
around.  In fact, in essence, Herren beat him out for the spot.  Nor does
this address why would need a really good backup for Antoine Walker, who's
going to play 44 minutes a game for 82 games this season.

>    You say we have 4 back up point guards? Then why is
> Anderson at 30, with 40 year old knees, being asked to
> play 35-40 minutes?

Um, because he's playing the best of the uninjured bunch?

> This can not last.

I expect it will last until Kenny either plays himself out of the rotation
or his contract expires, or he is injured.

> Time to cut bait and build a balanced roster, if we
> want to compete this season.

I think if the team wanted to do that, JB, they'd have done it already.

Bird
(The Celtic "Tird")