Re: Dee Brown Retires...

At 09:48 30/08/01 +0800, you wrote:
>I still thought it's celtics related though he played for a different team for
>several years now.  Well, he was one of celtics' original exciting high
>hopping players that I really liked, he has retired and is being offered a
>management position in Orlando Magic org.  Good luck Dee.
>
>Jaims

When Dee was a rookie, I remember reading in the Globe that Dee was a
computer science major in college, or at least that programming was his
favorite hobby (I don't remember which).

I always found it so funny that this computer geek went out and won an NBA
slam dunk competition.

Dee was a hero to his people. ;-)

I also once saw him do a celebrity news reader job on one of the local TV
newscasts (Rick Fox and others did it too). During commercial
intermissions, they showed him trying to memorize his script by reciting it
while shading his eyes with his elbow, like in the dunk to win the
competition. That was a funny touch.

Dee was on his way to a solid career prior to the sophomore knee injury. He
had a little bit of Joe Dumars in him (defense, shooting, hops), and I
thought he'd one day be good for 16+ points per game as a lead guard.

The ironic thing about the post-Big Three era is that Jan Volk pretty
consistently drafted productive players relative to their draft range
(usually high teens). Guys like Fox, Dee, Brian Shaw all of whom could have
complemented Reggie and Len Bias. So could Toine and the pre-injury Eric
Williams. Trade Parish a year or two earlier (I think we were offered Shawn
Kemp) and Boston would not be such a negative case study.

There was a lot of bad luck there, but at least we can look to the future.
The positive thing (I suppose there are many negatives too) about having a
great team history is that it makes success feel slightly more inevitable.
You know how whenever the Dodgers or Yankees or Twins make a playoff
appearance, they somehow always come up big and seize the day? I hope our
Celtics will play like that when the opportunity finally comes again.

----