RE: A lighter Antoine

Mark,

I agree on general principles on what you say. I would love an upgrade in
an interior player. Right now, my feeling is that Antoine is still going to
defend PFs, where his defensive rebounding can help the team, while his
generally poor interior defense will hurt the team. But I remember Pitino
citing a stat that in one-on-one situations, our Cs gave up something like
54% FG (and PFs 52%). Vitaly, Battie, Blount are all PFs playing center,
all with various flaws. They don't rebound and they don't defend, whereas
Antoine just doesn't defend - he does get rebounds, though he can do better
also. Vitaly's asset is his shooting. Battie and Blount block shots. I feel
that if we upgrade with Dale Davis, say, who I would love to have, he's
better off at C next to Antoine (on defense). I think Davis and Antoine
could rebound better than Davis and one of the V/B/B rotation.

I think if you move Antoine to PG and add a physical inside PF, you're
definitely not getting much out of Antoine's talents. You're taking away
his rebounding and his post up play and mainly using his passing skills
(good for a PF, not good for a PG) and three point shooting.

Really what I'd want with Antoine at PG is a real center, or at least a
physical PF playing center (Antonio Davis?), and then a power forward who
is a solid defender and rebounder, but who can spot up from 18+ feet. I'm
really dreaming at this point, because guys who can defend inside are
really tough to find, even if they do little else.

And you're absolutely right, it's not like everyone has to be able to
shoot, if you have talented inside players who can catch on the move and
finish. Which we don't have.

So, yeah, I would love to acquire Dale Davis. I don't think I'd put out a
lineup of Davis/Battie/SF/SG/Walker at PG though, because I'd rather have
Davis/Walker/SF/SG/SG with Walker playing PG on offense, rather than have
Battie/Potapenko/Blount. Because these guys are inferior to Walker as PFs;
they're starting at C right now because we have no one else. If we could
trade one of them for an upgrade (packaging a pick and/or a swingman, say)
and turn the other two into backup C/PFs behind Walker and the upgrade,
they'd be in their proper roles. If you can get two tough inside players,
one of whom can shoot or post up on offense, even better, with Antoine,
Paul, and Joe Johnson on the perimeter. But realistically, I'm thinking
about one upgrade at a time, with Antoine probably still defending the
weaker of the opposing PF or C and only spending a relatively small part of
the game at PG offensively.

And adding Mason is a whole other story, because he's got enough post up
ability to demand double teams and passing ability to boot. Probably Jim
O'Brien is the wrong coach to keep him in check though. Plus we can't
afford him. I was reading earlier today that he might be getting a contract
starting at $6M from Milwaukee because they have a trade exception.

Alex