RE: A lighter Antoine

I don't buy that Alex. The greatest post-up point guard of all time played
with Kareem and Kurt Rambis/A.C. Green. Those guys weren't spotting up for
jumpers. Just because Antoine posts up a small point guard doesn't mean the
only alternative when a double team comes is a 3-pointer (although with
Pierce and JJ on the court, you'd certainly have that option). Assuming the
opponent doubles with either the PF or center, how about having the Celts'
PF or C diving to the basket? Vitaly certainly is capable of hitting 15-foot
jumpers. Look at the mid-80s Celts. Bird acted as the "point forward" and
posted up smaller small forwards a lot. He was playing alongside Parish and
McHale. Again, those guys weren't three-point snipers, but the offense
worked just fine.

But that argument just feels like missing the forest for the trees. This
team desperately needs to rebound and defend the interior better. Can anyone
argue that? If you can play Antoine at PG and add a big, physical power
forward to the lineup (hypothetical-we don't have that guy on the roster
right now), you address a lot of those problems. To pass up that opportunity
because it might not be the best strategy when Antoine posts up just seems
silly. You bring up Milwaukee-they've been trying to add Anthony Mason all
summer. They've won without the big PF, but it's clear they'd be better with
that guy (and they have a pretty good post-up point guard of their own in
Sam Cassell).

And even if Antoine never posts up-unlikely, to say the least-his size is an
advantage in seeing the court and delivering entry passes to the post from
the PG spot. The best spot for a slimmed down Antoine is SF, but with
Pierce, JJ and Kedrick at SG/SF, those minutes aren't there. Antoine will
play PF or PG. I say put him at PG and add a banger.

If this team has to choose between adding a Dale Davis or an Austin
Croshere, I think there's no question who is the better fit. Give me Davis
any day.

Mark