zones

>    One observer posted here, that Forte's game could improve when the level
>of the players around him improves and the play is not so helter- skelter. I
>agree. He appeared to me, to be a very smart and selfless player, with NBA
>skills already. The remarks, that he wont get off his shot against NBA
>defenders, doesn't hold water, as he will move without the ball and if a
>defender wants to blanket him, what happens to the zone? Who else will be
>left with looser coverage?

It seems like with the new rule changes everybody is talking about the new
"zone" defenses. I don't think the NBA zones will fit our traditional
definition of a zone. I don't think you are going to see a high school or
college-style 2-3 or 1-3-1 type zones. I think teams will still play
man-to-man D, just that now you can sag off more thanks to the new rules.
Did you see any teams in the Shaw league, where the new rules were in
effect, playing a true zone?  You may see some 1-3-1 traps or some more
fullcourt zone presses, but teams were essentially doing that under the old
rules.
Even if a team wanted to play a traditional zone, they couldn't because of
the new defensive 3-second rule. I don't think that the average basketball
fan will notice much difference in the game at all.

Nathan A.

Nathan A.