Re: Kenny vs Milt

At 18:07 20/08/01 -0400, Alexander Wang wrote:
>I've mentioned this before, but Kenny has a decent year in 99-00. Last
>year he stunk but injuries were a factor. Obviously he's not Jason Kidd,
>but it's not exactly fair that he's vilified as a shoot-first, pass-second
>point guard while most would prefer our "shoot last, but pass even less"
>third-stringer Milt Palacio.
>
>99-00 Kenny: 7.8 assists/48 mins
>00-01 Kenny: 7.6 assists/48 mins
>00-11 Milt: 6.4 assists/48 mins
>
>Palacio does play better defense and he played more time in the O'Brien
>version "Antoine as point forward" offense which doesn't give him as many
>passing opportunities. But my point is that Palacio is hardly a passing
>point guard, and his own offense is much inferior to Kenny's. The
>expectations are much lower because he's a CBA type with a small contract
>as opposed to #2 pick Kenny with the $50M contract.

This post rules...really balanced and reasonable.

I have a comment to add.

First off, I didn't watch the Shaw League, even the ESPN2 game. Some of you
watched several games and I'll defer to your opinions totally, but, that
said, I couldn't help being disappointed that Miracle Man couldn't help
guide his team to a better record against NBA-lite competition.

I felt Miracle Man shot the ball too much in some games. And he finished
tied for 8th in assists.

That shouldn't have happened given the relative depth of our Shaw entry
this year. The point guard should have had a field day. The Celtics had
potentially excellent shooter/scorers camped on every wing and superior
athletes down low.

There is some indication that Boston had out there 5 of next year's
eventual 8-man rotation (or 9 if Kenny is healthy). That, of course, is not
even counting Eurotrash Boy and El Amin, both of whom will be on an NBA
roster next year.

By contrast, most opposing teams had Mo'easy calibre NBA "veterans" out
there. We're talking Dion Glover and Michael Redd getting All Star
recognition. I think the NJ Nets did a heck of a job to go 5-1 and win the
tournament, because they were starting some guys that probably won't last a
week into training camp. I'm not kidding.

Taking that into account, I have to say that Milt better have outstanding
upside as a defender (say Bruce Bowen-lite) to justify his starting role.
In fact, there are a number of mediocre, backup point guards on good teams
that fulfill that specific role these days (defense). It will be useful to
be able to throw the opposing point guard off his game, or at least wear
him down.

In any case the very second that camp opens, I want Milt to stop looking
for his shot and let his strengths (if any) define his role. Similarly, I
hope Kenny Anderson will come to camp thinking about one stat only, how to
get as close to 10 assists per game on as consistent basis as possible.
That's his only possible ticket back to stardom and respect. Tiny Archibald
figured that out in his 30s, and he was at least as much in the crapper as
Kenny is now. It is impossible for defenses to detach the ball from Kenny
when he's dribbling. He should be able to set up a lot of scoring
opportunities for Celtics running off screens or in the paint. If Tiny
could co-exist with a point forward, then Kenny should be able to thrive
off of Antoine and Joe Johnson as well.

But he has to first demonstrate to the whole team that he is thinking pass
first....or else he deserves to be a hand off the ball to Toine and go
spot-up somewhere type of player. If he's thinking selfishly, then he'll
just be wasting the shot clock with his dribbling, and the coaches will
rightfully take the ball back out of his hands on offense.

Joe

-----