RE: See Basketballnews.com's comments on Stith

Kevin,
Thank you for your letter. The Celtics and the Nuggets before them both felt
that Stith didn't work hard enough on the boards and that he didn't possess
the quickness to stop opponents from penetrating. Stith prides himself on
being a good defender and considers himself as such, and he did post a solid
steals per game average (1.19) last season. However, he didn't contain
opponents on the perimeter and didn't respond to the coaching staff's call
to work harder in practice to improve his defense. What I probably should
have wrote was that he wasn't a great defender instead of wording it as I
did, but the fact remains that Stith hasn't been willing to do what it takes
to become a true stopper on D.

I hope this clears things up, and I'm sorry for the confusion. Thanks again
for your letter, and feel free to write me any time.

Sincerely,
Ken Bikoff
Associate editor
Basketball News