Joe H. wrote:
Like Paul M. once said, how many times did Pitinochio threaten to "quit" on
his team? What about the "three years" pledge for that matter? Spintino
could have handled it honorably and handed over the reigns before the
season started, instead of going into his used-car salesman mode. It just
shows you that you reap what you sow. His headless chickens came home to
roost.
---end---

Now that's a great point that you and Paul have made in the past and I can't
disagree with. Along with the lousy personnel moves, that's my biggest
criticism of Pitino. Maybe the players' quitting is no worse than Pitino
threatening to quit. Pitino eventually followed through on it, but only
after the players abandoned him first.

And Joe, I know you didn't see that Philly game, and it's a classic case of
a game you couldn't judge from the box score. The players completely quit.
I'll never forget the desperate, pleading Pitino on the sidelines in the
fourth quarter. You could tell that he saw what was happening. It was the
kind of game that made your stomach turn.

You ask if it bothers anyone... I'm sure plenty of people on the list really
don't have a problem with it, but I do. Russell never would have quit.
Havlicek wouldn't have. Bird wouldn't have. Bird definitely had some run-ins
with coaches-both Jimmy Rodgers and Chris Ford-but he never gave less than
everything he had. I guess my point is, when is it OK? Will it be OK if they
get off to a slow start with Obie this year? That's a slippery slope, when
you start excusing anything but the best from the players, no matter how you
or they feel about the coach.

Mark