Re: Trying to make up my mind...

At 16:35 06/08/01 -0400, Francis Hsu wrote:
>Even when looking at the trade as Moiso for a late first round draft pick,
>I think the C's did the best they could to cut their losses.  The chances
>of finding a gem with the draft pick we acquired, or being able to use the
>pick to acquire a good player, are probably greater than the chances that
>Moiso, as a Celtic, would have developed into someone worth resigning.

Well said. Down the road if Moiso's name gets added to the long list of
wasted lottery picks, it will be noted that Philly, not us, gave up a first
rounder to acquire him. Through this friendly exchange, we essentially
recoup a already wasted first round draft pick from a bad draft.

Recall that the players selected immediately after Moiso were far from
palatable for one reason or another, and one wouldn't likely rebuild a
Celtics franchise around any of them (Etan Thomas, Courtney Alexander,
Mateen Cleaves and Jason Collier). Maybe the only case you can make at #11
is for Courtney Alexander, and he was only available there because of
serious character questions . Every mock draft board out there basically
had him as the odds on favorite for rookie of the year based on his scoring
ability.

But you are talking about serious character concerns (violence against
women for one) and a kid who refers to himself in the third person. Bad
luck for Rick Pitino that his first and last drafts yielded such uncommonly
dubious talent. It was probably fate.

Joe

----