Re: Trying to make up my mind...

--- You wrote:
I think it was Alex who said of the luxury tax, that it doesn't matter how
far over you go, you're still over and still paying the tax (and missing out
on the tax payments from the tax-payers). That's true, but it's also true
that it doesn't matter how far under the threshold you are, you're still
under. My understanding was the Celtics were positioned to be under the
threshold for the next couple of years, even factoring in Pierce's extension
kicking in and other raises.
--- end of quote ---

The problem is that they don't know exactly where the threshold is going to be.
Unless the Celtics are well under even the lowest projections, I don't think we
can assume that they'll definitely be under. Wallace has mentioned they'll be
"dangerously close" when Pierce's extension kicks in; now, he could just be
spinning it to explain the FA situation. But my guess is that their thinking
went like this: they get a chance to audition a decent player and a pick that
could eventually be pretty good (I think it can be used until 2008?) in
exchange for freeing up a bit of cap space for the '02-03 season in case a free
agent they like comes along (the same reason they didn't sign El-Amin). All
this while getting rid of a guy who had attitude and work ethic problems.
Sounds like a good deal to me.

--- You wrote:
goal in mind. I'd rather ride it out with Moiso and see if a light goes on
than give him up just to pad someone's pocketbook. After all, players
(especially big men) have been known to develop slowly from time to time.
And this guy was so young in terms of basketball development... With this
trade they completely gave up on him, and it seems early for that.
--- end of quote ---

Weren't you the one advocating trading anyone and everyone (foremost Antoine)
to improve the team and who thought that my desire to keep the nucleus together
was zany? Then why the sudden attachment to Moiso? The bottom line is, if
anyone would know whether Moiso can eventually produce in this environment, it
would be Wallace & Obie. Trading him clearly indicated their conclusion,
Wallace's polite parting statements notwithstanding. The stuff that's come out
about Moiso's uncoachability and attitude doesn't surprise me in the least - it
makes sense, because it explains his behavior and performance on the court, as
well as why Obie wouldn't play him even when the outcome of the games didn't
matter. You don't do that to a kid who's eager to learn and work hard to
harness his raw talent.

--- You wrote:
Moiso obviously had some value. He netted a
more proven player, on a shorter contract, and a first-round pick. Those are
some valuable commodities in the NBA. My biggest problem with the trade is
this: He had value. He's one of the few bodies on the roster, other than
Walker, Pierce and the rookies, who apparently had some value in the league
(granted, not huge value, but at least not negative value, like Kenny, Eric
Williams, Walter McCarty, Randy Brown and Tony Battie).  Anyway, he had
value, and we traded him without addressing a need. We added a player where
we already have a surplus. What might we have gotten for Moiso if we were
the ones throwing in the first-round pick? Could we have accomplished some
legitimate salary help by packaging him with a bad contract like Kenny,
Williams or Brown? It just seems like we traded an asset and accomplished
very little.
--- end of quote ---

Your reasoning here is interesting, to say the least. It goes like this:
They were able to trade Moiso for something positive ::: hence he had value :::
hence he might've had more value than what they got for him
I see absolutely no logical (in the formal sense) reason  one could reach this
conclusion. The only reason to say this would be if you strongly believe that
Wallace & Co. are so incompetent that every time they do a deal, they get
shafted.

Is there any reason to believe that, if they included a pick (presumably round
#1) with Moiso, they could've shipped Kenny or Williams off? I doubt it. But
let's say they could. Then you either have to trade with a team under the cap,
or take similar salary back. The first scenario is basically selling your
future for a salary dump, which you "abhor"*. The second scenario would only
make sense if we got a good player back, preferably one that fills a need. Now,
would you trade a good player for Moiso + Kenny or Williams and a pick? I
suppose it's a matter of how good the player is and what the pick is, but I
really doubt that Moiso + the pick outweigh a contract like Kenny's enough to
get someone decent.

*you did say "unless there's a plan". But what plans can you really make? To
sign a premium free agent next summer? But how do you know that you'll be able
to sign him (cf. Chicago, Detroit)? Moreover, the old team always has the
advantage in signing him under the new CBA (cf. Webber, Carter). So have you
really accomplished if you can't sign that FA?

Kestas