Re: Another opinion on the big issues of the day

----- Original Message ----- From: "bird" <birdwl@earthlink.net>

> Yeah, this is absolutely true.  Moiso should have been worth more.  He had
> a bust of a first year, but lot's of guys do (Baron Davis and Jason Terry
> spring to mind from recent history) and then turn out to have productive
> careers.

I didn't mean to say that Moiso should have been worth more, but rather they
should have got someone with that pick that was worth more.  You can run
down a list of guys who had poor rookie years and turned into decent
players, but I doubt any of them were quite as lost as Moiso was for his
entire first year.  And he didn't seem to improve at all.  I had hoped that
he was showing a lot more potential in practice but the trade made me
believe that's probably not the case.  Hey, bad draft picks happen.  It's
not like there was a raft of all-star talent available when they picked, but
they could have done better and that's what they get paid to do.  Maybe
they'd have been better off using the pick in the trade.  Who knows.  All I
know is that the Celtics got very little out of the 2000 draft.  Joe makes a
good point that the pick could end up being pretty good if the right things
happen.  We'll just have to wait and see what the conditions on it are and
then start hoping for the Sixers to suck at the appropriate time.  Could it
happen?  Sure.  But a lot of things have to work out right and it has to be
considered a long shot.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Metz" <JBMetzEA@AOL.com>

>He also had a surliness that Baskball.com reported in their "Rumors" page
on >August 4th.:
>" With Jerome Moiso they get a promising young forward, who has struggled
in
>Boston after reports of a horrid work ethic and a belligerent attitude
>towards Rick Pitino that carried over to Jim O'Brien. The Celtics warned
>Moiso to come to summer camp in the best shape of his life and be ready to
>play or he'd be dealt, and what ya know...he got dealt. They say the move
>was financially motivated, but that's not what those close to the team
say."

Well this is something I hadn't heard before.  I don't think it's worth
speculating on why he was such an a-hole, but this does change things.
Maybe he was traded as much for his attitude as anything else.  I think the
Celtics actually have a very likeable group of young guys and I wouldn't
want to see them keep a trouble maker around that would spoil things.
Especially one that can't play.  Can Josh elaborate on what Basketball.com
meant by belligerent?

Jim