RE: Rasheed

Well, it has gotten him to the Western Conference Finals. I'm not
discounting his technicals; he certainly comes with some baggage. But Toine
doesn't? It's a risk, but Rasheed is in the prime of his career, plays a
position and a style we need, has had no health or off-court problems... his
only problem is he loses his cool on the court too much. He's the best
player on a team that has been among the best in the league for years.
Jermaine O'Neal, Brian Grant and Dale Davis have had trouble getting on the
court in Portland because they can't afford to take Rasheed out for too
long. He's unselfish (a perfect complement to Pierce), plays defense (one of
the few in the league who gives Duncan trouble), has played all three
frontcourt positions, shoots it well from the floor and the line... and,
yes, he picks up too many technicals. Folks, other GMs look at Antoine
Walker and see a guy who is selfish, shoots too many 3-pointers, shoots a
woeful percentage from the floor, never gets to the line, turns the ball
over too much, plays lousy defense, talks too much, lacks a consistent work
ethic, has proven incapable of leading a team to the playoffs, and is
difficult to coach. Now, he's also a legitimate triple-double threat, has
great ball-handling skills for a big man, fears no one, has a knack for
offensive rebounding when in the mood, is capable of getting 50 when things
are going well and has leadership qualities. Look at those descriptions. Can
we argue with either? Let's open our eyes to what Antoine really is. If
that's good enough, fine, but don't let the fact that he's a Celtic cloud
your opinion. Antoine for Rasheed is an intriguing trade precisely because
it's probably pretty fair-it comes with risk and reward for both teams.

Mark