Kenny's mom can play point

Anderson, Celts ponder future
by Mark Cofman
Thursday, April 19, 2001
http://wwww.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/cs04192001.htm

(.....) Anderson has two years and roughly $17 million left on his
contract, but sounded much like someone expecting he will be receiving
his paychecks from another team next season.

``When they were experimenting with Antoine at the point guard, that's
great, I guess. When you only win (37) games you can experiment with
anything. That's always been the offense here with Antoine (handling the
ball), and I accepted it. But being a point guard, I'm not initiating
any plays or anything. I would like to be in a situation where I
initiate more plays.

``People look at my stats, but I was talking jokingly to my mother and
told her she could play point guard in our system. My brother, too. Come
down, pass, spot up. I don't handle the ball or initiate plays. They
want you to spot up. If you get (the ball), you get it.''

While Anderson was taking his parting shots, most of his teammates were
enjoying some light-hearted moments before parting ways for the summer.
The atmosphere was loose and positive. Rather than look back at a season
that came up short of the playoffs, the Celtics chose to look ahead.

``I've never been as optimistic at the end of a season as I am about
this team right now,'' said Walker. ``I really believe we're heading in
the right direction and that big things are going to happen for this
nucleus next season.''

Added Paul Pierce, ``We're certainly not happy about falling short of
our goal, but we don't plan on having that happen again. In my mind,
this is a team with much better times ahead.''

O'Brien, meanwhile, was asked if he were happy the season was over. True
to character, O'Brien, who led a resurgence after taking over for Rick
Pitino on Jan. 8, replied, ``Hell, no, I'm not glad it's ending. I feel
horrible it's ending. Coaching this team this season has been a great
experience.''

Copyright by the Boston Herald and Herald Interactive Advertising
Systems, Inc.