Re: zone defense, anyone???

Francis asked;
>I hoped that someone with better basketball knowledge than myself (i.e.
>anyone else on this list) would comment on this development to the list.
>Yesterday, the NBA owners voted to eliminate the ban on zone defenses.
>Anyone have any opinions on this one, and whether it will benefit the
>Celtics next season?

Well I don't have a solid opinion of this rule but Heinson and Gorman went
at it from different sides of the issue during the game.  Heinson was
against the rule.  Strongly against it.  He stated that he wrote of his
disapproval to Stern.

Heinson stated that he felt it was going to slow down the game and take the
ball out of the best players hands.  It would create jump shooting contests
without people driving to the basket.  Eliminate man-to-man match ups and
allow teams to clog the lanes.

Gorman was for it.  He felt that it would create movement of the ball.  He
felt that it would force all the teammates on the floor to touch the ball.
Make each player more "equal".  He compared it to college basketball and
international ball.

Heinson suggested that all the ball movement was only around the parameter.
That what was special was an inside and outside game.  He felt that the
other leagues should change their rules to match the NBA not the other way
around.  He somewhat disdainfully (to me) suggested that it was a lowering
of basketball standards.

To be honest, I think the rules committee knows basketball.  However,
Heinson is a 50 greatest of all time, HOF basketball player with a coaching
championship who has seen years of basketball as an announcer.  This guy has
won games and championships by being the best player on the court at many
levels.  He knows how to play with teammates and how to carry the team on
his back.

If I had to choose a side in this, Heinson would carry a lot of weight.  The
college game is a low scoring parameter game and the international game
focuses on outside shooting by everyone.  Ming is 7'6" and shooting 3's per
W?  I'd bench him.  I like low post play and pick and roll basketball.

Anyway that's my take on it.  We'll see what happens this preseason when
they try the rules out.

In the meantime, anyone have a thought about the Walker at PG experiment?

<Jim