Re: the loss

> From: Hironaka <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
>
> What good did it do for the development of most of that
> first round fodder to get crushed by Boston in a round one sweep? The
> Celtics need some work to do in the draft before we try to become a
> fixture in the playoff party every year

Well, maybe, Joe, but it's also true that NBA teams don't normally move
past the first round of the playoffs unless they've _been_ to the
playoffs before.  While Boston is gearing up for a spot at the eighth
seed, Philly is fine-tuning itself for a championship run.  The
difference manifested itself quite clearly.  Philly is a better team,
has been all year, and at this point in the season, was just too much.
I would have liked the C's to grab the last playoff spot for the
experience, and yes, to put a little taste in the mouths of Pierce and
Walker of just what, exactly, playing NBA ball in the "second season" is
like.  A Philly sweep, you say?  Yeah, probably, but that could also be
a great motivator for the next year ... .

> Bear in mind that Boston was on pace for a fraction less than 29 wins
> the day Pitino left, and probably would have tanked even worse because
> the hardest part of the schedule hadn't even begun.

Good point.  Obie and players have really turned the team around.  The
season was looking like it was going to be disappointing, _and_ a real
bitch to watch, as well.  While it was still somewhat disappointing, a
lot of these last games have been just a thrill to see.  Like I said, I
all wanted were meaningful, competitive games at the end of the year for
this season.  I got them; I am content (for a few days).

> Let's assume that Obie is just an "average" NBA coach in
> terms of talent and experience. [...] Yes we won a lot more close games
> and road games than before, but we also lost a lot of close games that
> we normally would have been blown out of. In other words, we were
> genuinely competitive.

Whither Obie?  He seems to have the support of the players (not a small
thing) and he _did_  help to turn the seaon around.  Like others, I'm
still concerned about Walker still playing power forward, McCarty
getting playing time (now, as someone who criticizes "Wallah", I've
gotta give him props for his recent play), and all the other sort of
Poultrino remnants in his coaching.  Still, the off-season is a great
time to revamp things.  I think he'll keep the job unless management
gets really shaken up because NBA interim coaches who get their teams to
perform like Obie did the C's tend to have the "interim" title dropped
eventually.

> When we look back on this season, I really do think we saw some things
> to be proud of as fans. We used to talk about Pierce's All Star
> potential....now we know. And as for Walker, he has gone from being a
> triple-double tease to a guy who averaged a triple double for an entire
> week, has five triple-doubles so far, six additional games with 9 or
> more assists (another six games with 8 assists) and is a workhorse who
> leads the NBA in minutes played and minutes per game.

Just think, Pierce will hopefully be able to lift and work more on his
body next year, Walker will also hopefully improve (shot selection,
etc), and who knows? maybe Obie will tell him to go practice being a
small forward over the summer (i.e. continuing playing as he is now).

Let's trade them.  I know, I know, but I've just got a hankering for
that young, unproven kid in the draft, or that kid that doesn't know a
good thing staring him in the face in LA-LA land, or a pocketful of
lint.  Maybe, just maybe, we could a get a good "player to be named
later" in such a trade... .

Regards,

Bill

(The Celtic "Tird",