RE: prospects

It's still so early. We've all seen these draft boards shaken up as the
draft approaches. Jamaal Crawford wasn't on any radar screens at this time
last year, but he ended up a top-10 pick. Trying to guess who will or won't
be there for the Celtics is futile.

That being said, there were a number of players I would think the Celtics
might have interest in on display last night. I've never been a Loren Woods
fan because I've always seen him as a soft player. But he played tough last
night and he certainly has some skills. Battier should be a solid pro. Jason
Williams will be a high pick whenever he comes out. I love Dunleavy, and
think he may be the best pro player among the Dukies. Did you notice when he
hugged Battier how much taller Dunleavy was? I think he has at least two
inches on Battier, but he still has better ball-handling and passing skills
and is a comparable shooter. He's one of those rare instinctive players who
just seems to have a natural flow to his game. Richard Jefferson could be a
decent late-round pickup.

But the guy who really intrigued me last night (as a value pick) was Carlos
Boozer. If he was two inches taller, he'd be a top-three pick, but at 6-8 or
6-9 is just a shade short to be a great NBA power forward (his only
position). Still, he actually seemed to have a low post game--a lost art.
He's strong, has good hands and quick feet and understands how to react to a
defender playing behind him to get his shot off. He was defended by Woods,
who had five inches or so on him, and still got off a lot of good shots. He
may be a good pickup with the Phoenix/Utah pick if he decides to come out
and a solid bench scorer for years.

Didn't get to post after the McDonald's game, but Kwame Brown is the real
deal. What a great power forward prospect. Curry also looks good, although
when standing next to some of the other players, I got the impression he may
not be the 6-11 he's advertised to be. But he has the body and game to have
an Alonzo Mourning-type effect as an undersized center in the NBA. A great
prospect. Wasn't blown away by anyone else, but Chandler and Diop didn't
play. I was disappointed in Dajuan Wagner, who was advertised as another
Iverson but seems far from it.

Without knowing how it all will shake out, it still seems the Celts will
have a chance to get a legit player or two with their picks. It's certainly
tougher picking at the end of the lottery, but this draft is deep enough
that with a good decision, they should come away with a player.

Mark