Re: Paul Pierce

----- Original Message ----- From: Juddy <norine@together.net>
>     I used to hear lots of talk around and about concerning  the Celtics
and
>basketball in general - not any more - on the face of it, it would seem
nobody
>cares any more.  I know many once loyal fans who have given up entirely,
>some because the Celts have been so lousy for so long and they've run out
of
>patience, and many others for the same reasons I stated above.

Well said Dorine.  This is definitely a low time for interest in the
Celtics.  I work with a guy who has a share of some season tickets, and he
doesn't even care.  Every year he says he's going to give them up, but his
partner talks him into keeping them.  For me it's strange, because I didn't
really start following them until Bird's rookie year.  Once they started
winning again, they were very popular until I moved to England in 1991.  By
the time I returned, in1997, noone cared.  I'd think that you more, um,
experienced fans would be used to ambivalence about the Celtics, though.
I've heard that, during their 1960's heyday, Boston was largely unaware of
them (which would explain why I only followed the Red Sox).  I guess the
difference, for what fans there were, was that they were winning then.

I'm really impressed with Alex and Josh who, despite all the losing, and
this week's distractions, are still able to think about the preseason (and
think positively, no less).  This whole Pierce saga has sapped the
enthusiasm that I expected to be feeling at this time of year.  I hope to
get it back as soon as I see a clip of him on the practice court, though.

Jim