Re: Political Correctness

At 11:00 AM 9/28/00 +0200, Hironaka wrote:
>     Apologies for the "retard" expression. The common use of the word
>"retard" (or "retahd" and/or "wicked retahd")

I'm from New Bedford and I must confess to using you "wikid retahd" on a
regular basis.It was used continually from my street days on Brock Ave. At
times affectionately, or to describe someone not using their full faculties
but usually not as a hateful dig. I have a severely retarded cousin (now in
her fifties) and would never use the word retard as a hateful dig. My
sister and her husband are highly thought of professors and speakers in
special education and both have referred to me in moments of ear leakage as
a wikid retahd without disrespecting mentally challenged folks. Just my
story and as "UneJo" stated if it offends I will never use it on this list.
Later.Mike