Pitino says "the leprechaun's back"

    Since no one else seems to have posted it yet, here is today's Globe
article on Paul Pierce (who reportedly is walking around his room). It
says he has been visited by teammates Vitaly and Adrian Griffin, but
doesn't mention any visit yet by the Batties or any others. Derrick
Battie- in a malapropism worthy of George Dubya Bush- says it has been
"a long, tedious 48 hours" for him. Poor Derrick, it must be so dull and
boring to deal with a friend getting nearly stabbed to death.

Joe

p.s. I'm non-partisan, but Slate.Com's weekly compilation of "Bushisms"
is one of the funniest things around if you haven't seen it:
http://slate.msn.com/Features/bushisms/bushisms.asp

---------

Pierce is showing improvement
Celtic's condition upgraded; Friday a possible release date

Leaving New England Medical Center yesterday, Celtics coach Rick Pitino
was philosophical about the stabbing that injured swingman Paul Pierce
early Monday morning. After visiting the hospital twice yesterday,
Pitino reported that Pierce, who was upgraded from fair to good
condition, showed marked improvement in the last 24 hours.

Sources close to Pierce said he walked around his room in the morning.

Delighted that Pierce was making such a speedy recovery, Pitino
expressed hope that his player's luck would carry over to a team that
has failed to make the playoffs for the past five seasons.

Although Pitino did not want to discuss basketball, he did say, ''For
the last 14 years, everybody said the Celtics have had a string of bad
luck and the leprechaun's gone. We think he's back now. Because for Paul
to go through this experience and look this good in a short period of
time and step away from this danger, we all feel the leprechaun's back.

''So, we're very excited. This is tremendous good luck and good
fortune.''

Pierce had a steady stream of visitors, including teammates and coaches,
and sources close to him said a tentative release date had been set for
Friday.

Forward Adrian Griffin visited with his family. Assistant coach Lester
Conner arrived in a black Celtics sweatsuit. Center Vitaly Potapenko
carried a gift inside. M.L. Carr came to lend support to Pierce's
mother, Lorraine Hosey. Flower arrangements, including a get-well
bouquet from the US Olympic team, were delivered.

Asked if he expected Pierce back on the court soon, Griffin said, ''I'm
not a doctor. I have no idea. Right now I'm not even thinking about
basketball. I don't even care about that part right now, as long as he's
getting better.''

Pitino kept the focus on Pierce's health, not his basketball career.

''At the appropriate time, when he leaves here, it will be easier to say
than right now,'' said Pitino. ''We talked about a lot of things, but
just personal stuff.''

Neither Griffin nor Carr got a chance to see Pierce, but they relayed
their best wishes through Hosey. Pierce was sleeping when Griffin
arrived in the early evening. Griffin said that when Pierce was well
enough, he might explain what happened at the Boston nightclub.

Teammate Tony Battie and his brother Derrick were with Pierce at the
club.

''I'm doing fairly good under the circumstances,'' said Derrick. ''It's
been a long, tedious 48 hours.''

''It's always serious when you think about what he went through,'' said
Carr. ''Hopefully, he'll be fine, and it looks like he will be. Our
prayers are still with him.''

Fans wishing to send greetings to Paul Pierce should email him through
the Celtics Web site at www.celtics.com.

This story ran on page F1 of the Boston Globe on 9/27/2000.
© Copyright 2000 Globe Newspaper Company.