Re: more scuttlebutt

At 09:00 PM 9/22/00 +0200, Joe wrote:
>As for Marcus Gumby, I don't like him much. Gumby's more than a "weightroom
>away" at just 225 pounds. He's not as good an athlete as Battie (I've seen
>Battie outplay him easily I thought), and we've got Moiso too. He's a good
>shotblocker but not that great compared to his reputation. Since averaging
3.65
>three seasons ago, he's only averaged 1.6 and 1.9 in the past two years. Only
>1.6 in the playoffs, too. I don't know what his attitude has been like
lately.
>He's really not doing much with his talent, if you ask me.

Actually, averaging "only" 1.9 blocks per game was good for 10th in the
league last year, and this was supposedly when Camby was hampered by
injury. The 1.6 bpg came when he was averaging 20 mpg, which actually comes
out to 3.75 per 48 mins, which would have been 6th in the league last year.
And before that he led the league. Personally I think he's an impact
shotblocker. Beyond that, he doesn't require the ball on offense yet still
seems to get decent production, and has been very strong on the offensive
boards too. The major question in my mind is his injury history. It's true
that one-on-one against a big, offensively dominant center, we'll have
major problems. Right now, there is one of those in the Eastern Conference,
Mourning, and worrying about competing with Miami is probably the least of
our worries. I would do this trade, assuming that Camby passes a physical.

Alex