more scuttlebutt

Apparently, the Knicks still are talking to the Celts about Vitaly. It
doesn't involve Houston, but the names on the other end being tossed around
are Camby and Erick Strickland. I have no idea how any salaries work,  or if
there would be others involved, but word is it's being discussed. Of course,
the Knicks are trying first to get either Mutombo or Webber, but failing
that, have their sights set on Vitaly or Matt Geiger.

It would be an interesting move, and signal a lot of faith in Battie and
Blount. It seems clear from some of the things we've been hearing that
Pitino considers Vitaly expendable. He wants to press a lot--much more than
we even suspect, I'm betting--and he can't do it with Vitaly on the floor.
Camby, Battie, Blount, Moiso--I can see Joe's face getting red
already--would be one thin frontcourt, but also a fast, athletic one.

Strickland would be a nice addition. He can play both guard spots and may
even be a starting SG in Boston.

My opinion: 1. If Pitino is committed to the press (and I mean really
committed to it), then do it. 2. Even if you don't like the structure of the
team after this trade, you have to admit that Camby and Strickland are a
pretty good return on Vitaly. These same names were being tossed around in
the Kemp/Grant talks.

Anyway, it's just one of many things being discussed right now, I'm sure.
Thought I'd throw it out there to stir up some conversation.

Mark