Re: Celtics to deal Pack?

Jim Meninno wrote:

> Hey Joe,
>
> The article came through in the copy I got back from igtc.  Didn't you get
> it?
>
> Jim

    No, I just received a blank message. My PC is bugged out today. Anyway,
that should explain my last post.

    IMO, Pitino says the right things in the Springer article but from Pack's
own point of view it probably seemed pretty clear from the start that Boston
didn't demonstrate much interest even out of simple courtesy upon his arrival
to the team (no press conference, no apparent invitation to see Boston and
Healthpoint, no statement of support from Pitino or Wallace).

    Judging from how well Pack reportedly was playing out in California, he
might end up coming in and surprising Pitino a few weeks from now. It is a
shame for everyone concerned that Wallace couldn't trade him before the
deadline, but at least we'll now be forced to get a good look at him in camp
before we move him for a third round pick in 2015. It seems doubtful in cases
like these that we could get half as much in return for his average production
when healthy, even as our fourth or fifth guard off the bench.

    I've been wondering, BTW, about the salary cap situation next offseason.
As it will reportedly rise significantly, I have a strange feeling we may
already be slightly below cap what with all our expiring 2001 contracts lined
up as if by chance. I hate to say it, but under this scenario it might even be
wise to at least explore the trade market for Antoine Walker (and his 10
million cap figure) just to see what's out there.

    But of course, it sounds like that is exactly what Boston did all summer
(much to Antoine's obvious chagrin, but he'll get over it). I don't think we'd
have even a prayer, honestly, of attracting a free agent like Chris Webber
next summer, but at least we'd be one of the few teams out there that could
offer the maximum. Anyway it sounds like a weak FA market, and my own position
obviously is that I'd rather have Walker for at least this season and
certainly beyond if he plays anything like he did in the new year. He's a
great player, if you ask me.

-----