Celtics to deal Pack?

But we knew all this weeks ago, thanks to our mole in Texas...

Celtics puzzled about Pack

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 9/22/2000

ith the start of training camp less than two weeks away, the Celtics have not seen or heard much from point guard Robert Pack, whom Boston acquired from Dallas more than a month ago as part of a four-team, nine-player deal.

When the sign-and-trade arrangement was completed in mid-August, Pack was on a cruise. But since the family vacation ended, the Celtics have communicated with Pack primarily through his agent, though team captain Antoine Walker has spoken with Pack.

Unlike the Celtics' other summertime acquisitions, Pack has not been made available to the media for either a customary press conference or teleconference, fueling speculation he isn't happy about his situation. Although coach Rick Pitino has not talked to Pack, he gave his take.

''I don't think he's thrilled about coming here,'' said Pitino. ''I don't think he was thrilled being in Dallas. From what I understand from his agent, if he plays, he'll be happy. He's looking at Kenny Anderson and Randy Brown and not thinking it's the best situation for him. Robert Pack wants a chance to compete and we've assured him he'll have that chance.''

Regardless of Pack's reservations about playing in Boston, Pitino believes the point guard, considered third on the Celtics depth chart, has one option: play hard in training camp. Going into the final year of his contract, it benefits Pack to put past injuries behind him and prove he can contribute when asked.

''He has to come in and bust tail and show a great attitude,'' said Pitino. ''Then there would be a lot of interest.''

Denver is thought to be interested in Pack. Prior to the draft, the Nuggets came close to acquiring Pack from the Mavericks. In early September, Pack surfaced again in trade talks involving Denver. A deal sending Pack and Calbert Cheaney to the Nuggets for Fall River's Chris Herren and Bryant Stith was discussed.

According to Pitino, John ''Hot Rod'' Williams, who was sent from Dallas to Boston in the Pack deal, will be at training camp as a player/coach.

In informal workouts, free agent signee Chris Carr has impressed Pitino.

This story ran on page F11 of the Boston Globe on 9/22/2000.
© Copyright 2000 Globe Newspaper Company.

GIF image