Re: interesting tidbit about vertical

CeltsSteve@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 09/20/2000 9:11:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu writes:
>
> << I mentioned in an earlier post that weightlifters are rumored to have
> excellent
>  vertical leaps - something that our more earth-bound Celtics (like Potapenko
>  and Walker) might want to take note of. Today I read at nbcolympics.com (the
>  name sums up the viewing experience perfectly, alas) that a certain
>  weightlifter has a standing vertical leap of 30". Not impressive, you say?
>  Well, how about if I told you that the lifter in question is a woman, U.S.
>  Olympic lifter Cheryl Haworth? Still not impressed? Well, how about this: she
>  competes in the super-heavyweight class (no weight limit) and weighs in at an
>  astounding 297lb at a height of 5-9, quite a lot of it fat! For comparison, I
>  remember Joe Kleine, at 270lb, having a vertical of 17". Pot and Walker can
>  probably do a little better, but I doubt they get up anywhere near 30".
>
>  Kestas    >>
>
> I believe she's also just a high school senior as well, no?

If she's 5-9 and can handle the ball in one hand, then 30 inches of hops (from a
standing position no less) should get her just high enough to dunk a basketball.
White girls can jump. The more you think about it the more amazing her ability is.

BTW, how about the Lithuanian basketball team? I can't believe Rudy T let his Team
USA get caught up in a slowdown game. What was he thinking?

n.b. I watched the French in a couple of televised games (no Moiso, so this is a
non-Celtics thread). They  have a shooter named Antoine something who really
stands out. Plays in Italy for one of the two good teams in Bologna (I don't know
which one). Also, the Knicks 1st rounder Frederick "Edel" Weis seems to me to be a
horrible European bigman prospect. But the French would be a medal prospect if
they had Tariq and Moiso, since all they lack is better defense and a vertical
game. France is having a good medal haul but out here you get only blanket
televised coverage of French athletes, competing often in sports that are less
interesting or universal than even the x-games. I guess this type of tv coverage
is the same in all countries though. So there will be more indoor cycling, fencing
and handball watching on tap for me tonight to go with my beer and pizza. US
versus Japan in men's soccer should be a good match.