interesting tidbit about vertical

I mentioned in an earlier post that weightlifters are rumored to have excellent vertical leaps - something that our more earth-bound Celtics (like Potapenko and Walker) might want to take note of. Today I read at nbcolympics.com (the name sums up the viewing experience perfectly, alas) that a certain weightlifter has a standing vertical leap of 30". Not impressive, you say? Well, how about if I told you that the lifter in question is a woman, U.S. Olympic lifter Cheryl Haworth? Still not impressed? Well, how about this: she competes in the super-heavyweight class (no weight limit) and weighs in at an astounding 297lb at a height of 5-9, quite a lot of it fat! For comparison, I remember Joe Kleine, at 270lb, having a vertical of 17". Pot and Walker can probably do a little better, but I doubt they get up anywhere near 30".
Kestas