Recap of Paul Pierce chat at NBA.Com

And why not check out http://celtics.rivals.com while you're at it?

Here's a quick recap of what Pierce had to say :

Thinks that he and Antoine Walker could be the "deadliest combo" in the NBA
("He feeds off me and I feed off him; I think we could be one of the top
duos in the league and could carry the Celtics a long way").

When asked about playing for the Celtics, Pierce proudly states that "there
is no better franchise in all of basketball, in all of sports even" and that
it is a "great honor to go to practice and to wear that uniform".

Has been working on his ball-handling and defensive skills during the summer
("I want to be more versatile and not just play one position on the court;
that's something I think will help the team").

When asked which position he prefers to play at (shooting guard or small
forward), Pierce replies that "it really doesn't matter" and he'll play
"wherever the coach wants to put me" ... But he mentions that his best
position is point guard (!) anyway.

Thinks that the offseason acquisitions (Carr, Pack, Brown) have
"strengthened the team's bench" and will provide the Celts with "veterans
who will really help us with knowing how to win down the stretch".

Has played pickup games with Jerome Moiso all summer, and claims that he is
going to be "very special".

Mentions that Rick Pitino is "a good players' coach" and is "hungry to win
[and] get the best out of his players".

Has a very specific pregame ritual - "I eat either a chicken salad sandwich
or a chicken breast sandwich about three hours before the game, with french
fries and some water; then I take a nap".

Names Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson as his basketball idols while growing
up.

A (wink wink) "female fan" asks Pierce if he has a girlfriend, to which he
replies "I will keep that one personal" ...

Knows that a lot of fans are down on the Celtics and their chances of being
a success, but Pierce remains confident that they will surprise a lot of
teams ("We had a lot of close losses last year so I think this year we can
turn those close losses into wins and become a playoff team").

Lists Tony Battie as his best friend on the team ("I hang out with him more
than anyone else, but we're all really good friends").

Names tennis as his favorite sport besides basketball - "This year in the
Bahamas at the NBAPA meetings, they had a tennis tournament and I won; I
played against Doug Overton and I beat him".

Mentions that he will personally be at the FleetCenter when season tickets
are on sale this Saturday, and the chat is over.

Alessandro
alessan420@hotmail.com
celtics.rivals.com