From: Jim Meninno
To: celtics@igtc.com
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 7:00 AM
Subject: Re: Pack/Cheaney for Herren/Stith?

----- Original Message -----
From: John Lyell

I am not sure I like this one. Hasn't Stith had a lot of injury problems (as if Pack hasn't) and Herren is an unproven commodity.

I don't remember much about seeing either of these guys play but, judging from his statistics, Stith seems to be on a downward slide in his career not very different from the one Cheaney is on.  There could only be two reasons for making this trade.  First could be that Stith's contract expires after this year (if the reports are true that he has two years left I would doubt the trade happens).  In effect, that would get them out of the "Calbert Cheaney mistake" a year earlier.  Second could be that Pitino would rather have Herren, who has potential to improve to a useful NBA point guard, rather than Pack, who has talent but is aging and almost never healthy.

If it were up to me I would do it for reason two.  I.e., if I had seen enough of Herren to believe that he had a promising future as an NBA point guard, I'd make the trade.  If it was just for reason one, to get rid of Cal, I wouldn't do it.  Cheaney's not the worst guy to have on the end of your bench.  When he was signed last year, he was probably seen as being the fifth starter and Griffin as the spot player.  Then Adrian came in and earned the starting job by working his ass off in pre-season and winning some early games with amazing clutch defensive plays.  Right now, I'd say that Griffin, Cheaney, Williams and McCarty are going to fight for one starting position.  I don't think Stith would be in that mix if the trade happened.

Jim