Re: Have The Bulls Bypassed the Celtics In The Standings?

At 18:45 9/6/2000 -0400, Alex Wang wrote:
>Way writes:
>
>>With the addition of Brad Miller to their team, have the
>>the Chicago Bulls passed the Celtics in the standings?
>>
>>Let's take a look at the tale of the tape:
>
>[cut]
>
>The major flaw in this sort of analysis is that basketball is not a series of
>five one-on-one contests.

Exactly right. Way Of The Ray can't possibly be serious: he/she/it is
trying to stir up some discussion, that's all (not without success, I might
add).

I'll bite on yet another gem of a trade WOTR proposed, namely

>if Stoudamire came here. I think the trade, because of the
>difference in salaries would be something like: Pot, Pack,
>and someone else for Stoudamire. I'd do that deal. Portland might

... since other posters have expressed a desire for trading for Stoudamire
(no rhyming intended :>) before. My reaction to this is, I just don't
understand it. Stoudamire makes Kenny look like an underpaid defensive
stalwart. Consider last season's stats:

30.4 mpg  .432 FG%  .377 3FG%  .841 FT%  3.1 RPG 5.2 APG     77 Stl  1Blk
12.5 PPG

31.6 mpg  .440 FG%  .386 3FG %  .775 FT%  2.7 RPG  5.1 APG  139 Stl 8 Blk
14.0 PPG

Yup, it's Kenny's line at the bottom, and yes, he had nearly twice as many
steals, 8x as many blocks (just kidding here, but it's true ;>),  shot
slightly better from the field, and scored slightly more. Kenny also played
in all 82 games, and didn't whine nearly as much Damon. Of more concern
would be Stoudamire's propensity to disappear in big games, and his
becoming a defensive liability every time he steps on the floor, even
compared to Kenny (who is also 5 inches taller).  If you think he's going
to pass more and shoot less than Kenny, you're kidding yourself. He took
only ~10% fewer shots (894 vs. 986) than Kenny last season, and that's on a
team loaded with stars! At least in the playoffs, Portland was at its best
with him on the bench - 'nuff said.

So, no wonder Portland's trying to get rid of him, but, at almos $11M per,
who'll be stupid enough to bite? Luckily for us (for we know how torrid
President Poultrino's passion for a player can be), it's unlikely that
Gaston would be willing to assume Stoudamire's $81M contract that runs
through 2005. In comparison, Kenny's $50M deal that runs through 2003 looks
like a bargain. I am no big fan of Kenny, but getting Damon would be a
disaster, both cap- and basketball-wise. Giving up decent players (as
opposed to bad contracts) for him would be a catastrophe.
Kestas