Recap of Vitaly chat at NBA.Com

And why not check out http://celtics.rivals.com while you're at it?

Yesterday, it was Rick Pitino who had a chance to talk with fans online ...
Now, it's the Ukraine Train's turn.

Vitaly "The Potty" Potapenko took part in an online chat session this
afternoon at the Celtics' official web site. It's all in conjunction with
the official relaunch of the site (which isn't that bad, except that it's
more of a cosmetic change than anything to do with the content - which is
still just company fluff).

Here's a quick recap of Vitaly's comments :

Shaq is a tough man to defend because "he is so big" (d'uh), but if you talk
about "quickness and intensity and skill level" then he would pick Alonzo
Mourning and Patrick Ewing as the toughest centers to play against in the
NBA.

Compares offseason training to homework - "it's when you work on your skill
level and it reflects how you're going to be in the season". He goes on the
court and trains three to four hours everyday during the offseason (you
reading this, Antoine?).

When he gets mad on the court, Vitaly "yells in English instead of Ukranian
to make sure people know what I'm talking about".

Mentions "cocktail parties and minor league games" as places he likes to go
to socialize ... Hmmm.

Names his college roommate (Eric Watkins) as his biggest supporter in
basketball; "he would tell me what I did wrong and encourage me and we'd
practice together".

Started watching NBA games when he was 15 years old, but never considered
actually playing in the league until college - "the Cavs had a training camp
at my university and I would go watch them. I would even skip class if I had
to ... and as I got more advice from people, my dream of playing in the NBA
became more of a reality".

Mentions how how grueling his first practice under Rick Pitino was ("I was
so tired because it was up and down with full court defense. I remember
after I was traded from Cleveland, 3-4 weeks later, my friends said I looked
like I had really toned up. I had to be in good shape to keep up with the
practices").

Would like to live in Boston after he retires ("there is a lot of history
here; there is a lot to do here; there are a lot of colleges so there are
young people here").

On the subject of whether or not he is a center or power forward, Vitaly
says that "because of my lower body strength, I'm not really a high jumper
or a shot blocker; I would think power forward would be more suitable for
me".

Has nothing but nice things to say about Antoine Walker and Paul Pierce as
teammates - "I get along well with both. The first time I met Antoine we
were going on the bus to NJ to the draft room, so we were talking. They're
both good teammates; they're very fun to work with. Also they're young -
they're my age - so we have a lot in common."

Credits Larry Johnson (!) as his basketball role model growing up - "when LJ
came into the league he just blew me away; he's so strong and he can take
people so hard to the basket".

Thanks the fans for asking questions, and the chat is over.

Alessandro
alessan420@hotmail.com
celtics.rivals.com