Re: Rice to get only the exception.

Jim Hill writes:

>If Glen Rice is only going to get the $2.5 exception from NY or Miami how
>about a Anderson/Blount for Rice trade for one year at $5-6 a year.

[cut]

>LA gets a solid point for their system.  A back up PF/Center in Blount.  A
>gentlemans way of solving the Rice "problem".  Anderson is a LA resident.

This is where this trade breaks down in my opinion. Phil Jackson likes his
backcourt big and doesn't require a traditional point guard to initiate his
triangle offense. The Lakers wouldn't have any interest in Anderson and
his large contract. He'd probably play poorly in the triangle offense for
similar
reasons that he plays poorly in Pitino's offense, because he's probably his
best as a "ball-dominating" point guard rather than a "get it across, dump it
off, move without the ball" point guard.

Even though Anderson hasn't been great for the Celtics, I would hesitate to
trade him without getting a starting point guard in return. Pack has his
injury
history and Randy Brown is not a starter on a decent team. After watching
the offense die repeatedly under Barros last year, I do appreciate that
Anderson has done a reasonable job on offense, even if his assist numbers
have been poor.

I think that the draft picks are probably going to be the enticement for most
trades. I am hoping that we can package McCarty or Cheaney and a draft
pick to pick up a contributing player -- maybe someone like Ruben Patterson
(if the Sonics are planning on restructuring -- what did the Ewing trade
mean?)
or Keon Clark, Pitino's target in the 1998 draft.

Alex

Alex