The time is indeed nigh (prediction)

Now that the exhibition season is over, it's time for the prediction.
I think the most likely result of the season is something like 38-41
wins and flirting with making the playoffs but just missing.
However, that's not my prediction.

The team won 35 games last year, but two major factors will help them
improve in total wins: 1) Slightly improved team, and 2) Weaker
Eastern Conference.

1) On paper, the team has improved from last year -- slightly.
Instead of Battie, Fortson, Overton, Barros, Cheaney, and Griffin as
a bench, we've got Battie, Blount, Brown, Herren, Stith, Carr and
Moiso.  There's legitimate wondering about who has to sit on the IR.
Also, it looks as if Walker and Pierce have somewhat improved their
games.  Maybe not as much as one would hope, or in the areas one
might expect, though.  Hard to tell this early, really, but I don't
think either will regress very much, either.

On the other hand, the team has gotten worse in a few areas, too,
most noticeably rebounding.  They'll probably also still make a lot
of the same mistakes they always do.  They'll blow a few leads, and
they'll let a few games slip by them.  They'll give up layups and
dunks on the press, and they'll create turnovers.  In other words,
lot's more of the same, tinged with some improvement.

2) The East looks weaker than last year, and obviously the C's play
these teams more often.  Orlando, Milwaukee, and maybe Toronto are
good teams.  Miami, Indy, the Knicks, and Philly could be the second
tier and might even challenge the others.  Of the rest, Cleveland and
Charlotte look to be the major competition for the last playoff spot.
I think the Celts can challenge those last two teams for a playoff
spot.  After Orlando, (and maybe including Orlando if Hill isn't near
100%), the East is pretty open.  Bucks, Philly, NY, Miami, Toronto --
they could all end up with the second-best record.  This year, the
eighth-seed might not even have a .500 record.

So, after all that, I see some improvement, some areas of weakness,
and a lot more of the same things from Pitinoball and the players.
But, I like the way many people have nudged thier predictions to the
sunny side of the street, just because, hey, maybe that's what a fan
ought to do.  (Even Joe's ritualistic prediction of 33 wins fits in
here, too, I think.  Reminds me of when my wife won't watch the game
because/when the Celts are playing poorly.)

I'm going with 42 wins, and a playoff berth.  If they win a playoff
game, that's gravy.  Just getting to the dance will be worth it.

Regards,

Bill