Re: Wink, wink!

JBMetzEA@aol.com wrote:

> If anyone knows, I'd love to know what the difference between this situation
> and, say the Toronto/Michael Stewart deal is.  Is there more evidence of a
> deal here?  Is it because Stern is actually getting back at the T'Wolves,
> Smith and even Garnett for forcing that whole lockout mess?  To me it would
> be just as wrong if there was some sort of revenge factor at work here.
>
> Jim
>             *************
>     As I understand it, the difference is that the deal with Smith was in
> writing. A contract, a written instrument violating the rule.
>     With "Yogi," and others, who signed a one year deal for less than market,
> with an assurance; it was just that, a non-binding agreement. Nothing in
> writing, no way to prove that any rule was violated.
> JB

Hello JB:

"Nothing in writing found" is maybe a little more accurate a way to describe it
than "nothing in writing". You look at how much Yogi signed for after being a
spectacular bust (I think it was a Battie/Potapenko size deal), and you have to
think it was either a major "boo boo" or involved some serious arm-twisting from
the agent to go public with the illicit deal.

I guess I'm reflexively defending Kevin McHale (and also small market teams) out
of pure bias. Regarding the CBA rules, I'm not the least bit sympathetic with the
notion that owner's need to be able to make a living or have a system that "saves
owners from themselves" at the expense of the players that fans care about. If
hypothetically I had access to any more money than needed to assure a good life
and support the causes that matter, I'd spend every last dollar of it to help the
Red Sox finally win a World Series. That is to say I think any team owner should
have this level of commitment to the community and the team. I consider that to
be far more than a fair tradeoff for the ego benefits of owning a team that is
such a big part of the life and culture of an entire city. To instead pull a
Thanks Dad Gaston penny-pinching farcical act is a bit like whining how come you
aren't allowed to break even from your investment in a Ferrari or a trophy wife.
Someone like Thanks Dad who inherited millions would be wiser investing in so
many other things than a ball team  if making more money was what it was all
about. Chances are pretty good that Thanks Dad can also count on being a prime
beneficiary of Bush's "death tax".

Back on topic, finally, I think tonight's Orlando game will be a big game,
especailly for the bubble 12th men. My first cynical take on the Moiso quote by
Pitino was to re-read the quote by replacing the name Moiso with "Wallah", down
memory lane to the first year of the Boston Chicken dynasty when we fully shared
Pitino's faith in that style of clueless athlete. Even though it is just one
game, how our lottery pick plays tonight will go a long way toward deciding what
my own won-loss prediction will be.

The good thing is that Moiso is definitely trending up again, both in his last
few games (incredibly limited minutes for some reason) and also reportedly in
practice. My view is that we need three point guards, so Herren or Brown aren't
the most likely second IR casualty (unless legitimately hurt, which is a
description that they both sort of fit).

Who would you leave off among Griffin, Stith or Waltah?  I think only a douchebag
would make the wrong decision, but take a look at which player (Waltah) has been
getting the most starts and minutes so far.

Eric Williams has reportedly "won" a starting job, but he's shooting under 40%
from the field as per usual so IMO he's an IR candidate as well, along with Carr
(maybe the player with the worst skills and reputation on defense on the current
Pitino roster).

My opinion is that we bring back Carr from permanent IR exile only if Griffin or
Stith prove definititively that they can't generate any offfense or ball
movement, or as Pierce insurance. That is to say, if he was hired as "Pierce
insurance", then bring him back off IR only if Pierce can't play and
Griffin/Stith can't replace Pierce's scoring. Otherwise keep both Griffin and
Stith (both are more professional through and through).

But the deal tonight is that Adrian Griffin is definitely on the bubble folks, so
along with Moiso it is also a big night for "Yo Adrian" watchers. I have a fear
that Poultrino apologists are going to start labeling Griffin as this year's
Danny Fortson scapegoat for the .472FG% allowed so far this preseason. No length,
experience or athleticism. Just a slow, stat hog on a losing team.;-)  Plus
Pitino has an excuse for putting Griffin on IR by saying he's behind in
conditioning.

So anyway tonight is a big night for Moiso and Griffin (and also Herren if he
plays but he's shown enough to sit this out IMO). These are the three guys I
least hope to see buried on the IR with phony injuries. If Moiso doesn't make the
opening team, the most hopeful thing you can say is that at least he doesn't seem
to have the kind of ego that can be bruised. He'll probably just repeat something
quasi-witty like "great, I don't like to travel" or "great, I'd rather have the
days off." As I said before, I hope it is Waltah and Carr that spend the bulk of
the year on IR, unless our second unit defense or offense truly suffers without
them. For the sake of the future, the Celtics have to give their best talent
(Moiso) a chance to sink or swim even if it hurts them at first and even if Moiso
didn't deserve to make the opening team.

Joe

-------