Re: Garnett

--- You wrote:
And I could be wrong, particularly if Walker and Pierce come in this season
and takes their games to another level. But you know, I can't imagine being
disappointed in getting Garnett given where we've come from. He's really a
great player for the fans: outrageously athletic, hard working,
charismatic, reportedly a great leader that makes his teammates play
harder.
--- end of quote ---

Well, my thinking is simply that, if you give up two future All-Stars (I'm an optimist!) for a superstar, you're still a player short. Even Jordan, Shaq, and Duncan couldn't win a championship without Pippen, Kobe, and Robinson, respectively. And these guys are a cut above Garnett. Free agents may want to play with Garnett, but a major FA would be no easier to fit under the cap with Garnett's salary than with Walker/Pierce's future salaries. Besides, Garnett didn't exactly succeed in keeping Marbury and Gugliotta from leaving Minnesota. And we're more similar to Minnesota than we are to Orlando, Phoenix, or Miami. On the other hand, maybe there's a a lesson to be learned from Portland's fortunes the last few years - lots of excellent players, but no true superstar = no championship.
Kestas

PS Sorry, Josh -the immutable law of Internet discussion is that people will generally talk what they want to talk about, no matter how pointless, hypothetical, or boring their discussion appears to others. I know that the chances of a trade like this are exceedingly close to zero, but it's just plain fun to discuss the what-ifs.