Re: Garnett?

----- Original Message ----- From: Berry, Mark S <berrym@BATTELLE.ORG>

> The difference in this case is they have the T-Wolves dead to rights. They
> were dumb enough to put the "secret" agreement in writing. It's one thing
> when it's a promise--GMs have gone back on those (see Lakers and Rice), so
> players assume some risk. But the Wolves put it in writing, and they got
> caught. That's the difference.

I figured it was something like that.  How stupid is that, anyway?  What
good did it do either side to put the agreement in writing?  If the 'Wolves
had reneged on their promise, did Smith expect to take it to the league and
say, "look at this illegal deal they aren't living up to"!  So, the league
has effectively told the teams, if you're going to make secret deals, don't
be stupid like the Timberwolves, do it like everyone else and make it a
handshake deal.  Really, I don't see how this is any less risky for the
player, since the written deal isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Jim