RE: Garnett?

Kestas wrote:

"Rhetorical question: do you think Stern would use one of the large-market
darlings (LA, NY etc.) to send a message?
It's just like the charade of drug testing at the Olympics, where they pick
the sacrificial lambs carefully, so that the public at large can rest in
peace 'knowing' that 'the cheaters got caught' but the designated heroes are
all clean, pure Boy Scouts.

And for the record, Garnett is not worth both Walker and Pierce, never mind
adding Moiso or picks to the package. I hope Pitino is not salivating at the
prospect of such a 'deal', because T-wolves would take it in a femtosecond
and we'd be screwed for a decade."

I know you said it was a rhetorical question, but...

That's a fair question, given some of the shady big-market dealings in the
past. What is your definition of "big market" however? LA, NY and Chicago?
How about Miami? Remember, Stern stepped in and voided the Juwan Howard deal
that Riley cooked up several years ago (think about that mistake Riley was
saved from the next time you criticize a Pitino move). He also challenged
the Chris Dudley deal with Portland, even though he lost.

I think you raise a legitimate question, but not every move the NBA makes is
market-driven.

And as for Garnett, I don't know if he's worth it or not. I'm just
speculating on what the cost might be. I do know this: Garnett is without
question one of the five best players in the NBA. Neither Walker nor Pierce
crack the top 50 on most lists. Truly elite-level guys like Garnett are a
lot harder to come by than players like Walker and Pierce. I'm not saying
I'd do the trade, necessarily, but it's not as ridiculous as you make it
sound. Garnett, surrounded by Vitaly, Blount, Moiso, Griffin and Herren
would have a supporting cast comparable to what he has in Minnesota
(Brandon, Szczerbiak, Laphonso Ellis, William Avery).

It's a moot point anyway, because it's not going to happen. I'm eager to see
what this Celtics team can do this season, but you know if Garnett does go
on the market, Pitino will be first in line.

Mark