From: "Dan Forant" <dforant1@nycap.rr.com>
To: <celtics@igloo.igtc.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: Jackson: Thomas is right fit for new Pacers

> Mark Jackson is another overpaid big mouth that probably believes he could
be player, coach and an administrative genius. I don't believe the Pacer's
would have been better off with anyone else last season. I thought they over
achieved as it was. They only did that because of Bird's presence. Let's see
what Isiah does with what's left of a declining franchise.

> Dan
>
> At 08:50 PM 10/25/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >>>>

>   Interesting quotes from Mark Jackson. Sounds like he wouldn't have
thought Bird would have been good for the Celtics three years ago, either.

<http://www.starnews.com/sports/indianasgame/pacers/articles/jside1024.html>
http://www.starnews.com/sports/indianasgame/pacers/articles/jside1024.html

>   TORONTO -- Mark Jackson says he enjoyed playing for Larry Bird the past
three seasons with the Pacers. But he expects Isiah Thomas to be more
effective as a coach.

>   "When you talk about coaches, there's a whole different caliber out
there (than Bird)," Jackson said. "Isiah Thomas is a coach. Larry Bird would
tell you, he had an offensive coordinator and a defensive coordinator. And
sometimes those guys (Rick Carlisle and Dick Harter) need to sit back and
shut up.

>   "But we had a great run. For us, he was probably the coach that was
needed. We needed a guy to sit back and let us run the show because we had a
bunch of guys who knew what to do. Would he work with the team they have
now? Absolutely not. But he did a great job with us."